Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wrongly Identified By 57 Years And The Buddhist Calendar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 250Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
154 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jossanders52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I frequently see in eBay used Thailand stamps placed in the very wrong time period of 57 years earlier than when the postmark was actually applied.

Even today, Thailand does use the Buddhist calendar year in the cancellation of postage stamps.
In the Buddhist calendar the Christian era 1957 correspondents with the Buddhist year 2500. Seeing a Buddhist year, substract 543 to get the Christian year.

The error quite some sellers make on eBay is that when the year in the postmark shows say 21, they assume its 1921. However its 2519 or 1976 !!!!

My guess but I am not sure that Laos and Cambodia is similar to Thailand by using the Buddhist calendar
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
error in my message
say postmark shows 22 means that it is 2522 or 1979
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   02:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It happens. I often see similar errors in listings for Japanese covers, where the year of a Japanese era (Meiji-Taish˘-Sh˘wa-Heisei) has been misinterpreted as the last two digits of the Western year (A.D./C.E.). I've even seen listings for German covers, where the seller has misinterpreted the hour of the day in the postmark as the year.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 250Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.1 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05