Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

De Koninklijke Familie (Royal Family)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 342Next Topic  
Valued Member
278 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   01:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add patg23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Juliana Louise Emma Marie Wilhelmina 30 April 1909 – 20 March 2004

Juliana was the only child of Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Henry of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. She received a private education and studied international law at the University of Leiden. In 1937, she married Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld with whom she had four daughters: Beatrix, Irene, Margriet, and Christina. During the German invasion of the Netherlands in the Second World War, the royal family was evacuated to the United Kingdom. Juliana then relocated to Canada with her children, while Wilhelmina and Bernhard remained in Britain. The royal family returned to the Netherlands after its liberation in 1945.

Due to Wilhelmina's failing health, Juliana took over royal duties briefly in 1947 and 1948. In September 1948 Wilhelmina abdicated and Juliana ascended to the Dutch throne.

In April 1980, Juliana abdicated in favor of her eldest daughter Beatrix. Upon her death in 2004 at the age of 94, she was the longest-lived former reigning monarch in the world.

Any thing of interest in the message?

(Info on perfin supplied by Jan J2186 in another post)
This is a private perfin used by Kiosk-Onderneming Amsterdam The period of use was 1895-1937.

A-FEB-12
Second half of postmark is Rotterdam. Can anyone make out the first? Is this a rail PM.

Thanks to everyone if you made it this far.
Pat
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   02:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No idea what Juliana has to do with a Wilhelmina stamp and cancellation.

Appears to be Utrecht - Rotterdam nr. II

http://poststempels.nedacademievoor...-gebruik.pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
716 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   03:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The message:

Dear Nephew,

Thank you for the postcards. We think they are very pretty.

Next line is a bit difficult to translate directly it is in a typical Dutch. One could read it als follows. You must be preparing for upcoming festivities/fun.(could be about an anniversary)

next line; We are fine we hope you are too.

From you uncle, aunt. J. Heuken (other names follow but difficult to read)

The K perforation was also used on many railway stations.
It can be possible to find which station. I will look at my perfin catalogue(if I can find it).

Edited by Johan Buvelot - 07/15/2021 03:23 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33566 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   04:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oops see you have the perfin ID, broadley.
Edited by rod222 - 07/15/2021 04:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   04:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amsterdamsche Kiosk Onderneming is a stationer's. It, currently, calls itself AKO.

https://www.ako.nl/

It, originally, sold dailies to travellers at railway stations. So, the "K" for AKO and its connection to railways should not be a surprise. It, likely, was stock used at the stationer's at stations.

My guess would be Rotterdam Maas Station. Up to 1953, "Maas" was the station for trains from Rotterdam to Utrecht. Now, it is the Central Station.

Could it be signed "van uw Oom Tante en Stientje?"

The name J. Heuken, I think only appears (in a different ink?) in the lower left corner.
D**str 18a (D** street 18a)

Rot in the date might be Rotterdam. Steenwijk is East of Utrecht, Rotterdam west.

"De bloemetjes buiten zetten" can mean "painting the town red."

However, if the picture postcards were sent by people that settled in Steenwijk that sent picture postcards of their new town, it might also literally mean to put out the flowers.
The date stamp appears to be for February. Spring is coming. People will soon (March) put out flowers they kept in the house to protect them from wintery conditions.

Both interpretations are possible.
Edited by NSK - 07/15/2021 04:53 am
Valued Member
278 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First off, thanks to everyone for their most helpful responses.

To NSK's first response " Why Juliana?"

There are so many aspects to a simple card that can be explored: Stamp, perfin, postmark, photographer (see below),who sent/received, photo subjects: in this case Queen, Prince, baby.

I had no history on the Netherlands royal family (De Koninklijke Familie), so I went looking. Person by person there is much information to be had on the internet.

When I first pick up a card, I try to see all the different possibilities.
In this case I was intrigued by the family portrait; stiff and formal, but most by the young baby staring at the camera.

So yes, I wrote about Princess Juliana (future Queen at about 2 years old) and the succession of Queens from mother to daughter: Queen(Wilhelmina) to Queen (Juliana) to Queen (Beatrix).
By no means a comprehensive study, but a quick snapshot (no pun intended)

(Mentions Guy Du Coral and Queen Wilhelmina)
https://www.the-low-countries.com/a...photographer

Best to all,
pat
Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Dutch Royal Family must be one of the oldest ruling families around. They are known as the House Nassau or House of Orange. You will find the Nassau-family had a powerful position even in the late 1500s and being important even earlier.

In the 16th century, William of Nassau, Prince of Orange, argued for freedom of religion. When the Netherlands revolted against Philip II who ruled from Spain with an iron Catholic fist, William of Orange and other Nassaus led this revolt. (It would not be correct to say it was a Protestant revolt against Catholics.) William is considered the Father of the Fatherland. Ever since, the Nassaus, or Oranges have held the position of Head of State with interruptions.

After Napoleon's defeat, his descendant became King of the Netherlands. We had Kings William I, II, III. Do not get confused with the earlier numbering of Stadtholders (number V being King number I and number III also being King number III of England, but not of the Netherlands). When William III died, Wilhelmina was still not 18. So, William's wife Emma became Queen-Regent. After Emma, Wilhelmina, Juliana, Beatrix, we are now back to the Williams, with William-Alexander. Next in line will be another Queen.

At the Tokyo Olympics, you will recognise many Dutch athletes by the orange attire. This is a reference to the House of Orange.
Edited by NSK - 07/19/2021 06:16 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 342Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05