Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Handle Scott International Additionals?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 781Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gvol21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey folks,

I've got a 1947 Scott International Volume 1 that I'm working on. Thought about the reprint pages, but ultimately decided to go with the '47 because it's cheaper (and I found a complete set of pages in excellent shape) and has more spaces for stamps than the '69/'97 versions.

I'm of two minds regarding the fact that the '47, unlike later editions, doesn't have each country start on a new page. On the one hand, this makes the collection (in theory) more compact: fewer binders, less shelf space. On the other hand, it makes inserting additionals - stamps that aren't part of the album - more difficult. For example, if a country is spread across two facing pages, with different countries on the other sides, where to insert additionals?

Some would advocate putting them in the margins, alongside existing stamps. This creates a 'cluttered' look that I actually don't mind, but I'd prefer to keep them separate from the 'true' BB collection.

There's no wrong answer - I'm just looking for some inspiration and would love to hear how others have handled this. Thanks!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've got the same edition of the International as you and, after awhile, I ended up moving all of my stamps onto Steiner pages. I do, however, have a complete checklist for the International and I check off each stamp that I get that has a spot in it. That way, I know where I stand as far as completing the album (yeah, in my wildest dreams).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5771 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   6:00 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Collectors' views will vary, but stamps added to margins are a mess and umdermine the concept and design of the printed album. Perhaps an addendum album in a stock-book?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
923 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My grandfather had blank pages - in Scott format - at the end of each country to which he added more than a couple stamps that didn't fit. If it was a few small countries (so with that issue of multiple countries on the same page), he just put the additional stamps for those countries together on an inserted page, with appropriate titles. I thought it looked pretty good.
Valued Member
United States
282 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've got a 1947 Scott International Volume 1 that I'm working on.

Then why are you adding to it?

IMO, you're either collecting that album, or you're not. If you are, you use the spaces, organization, and aesthetic it's giving you. If you have stamps that don't fit the album, place them in a stock book or other, complementary album.

And if you're not collecting that specific album, why bother putting stamps into it to begin with?
Pillar Of The Community
1014 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   01:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You bought a 1947 album which, by your own admission, was to save money even though it had certain limitations. Now you want more album space covering more years. That's a little like buying a tiny economy car and complaining it's not a big luxury sedan. Something's not right here. If you now want to collect beyond 1947 why use that album? You're trying to re-engineer something that can't be changed in a neat or tidy or logical way.

Normally, you would add blank pages where necessary. But, again, according to what you say, the countries in your album don't end neatly at the end of a page. But you knew that when you bought the album.

I use a more recent Scott International album, the latest edition, which goes through 1975. I chose it because each country ends on its own page rather than another country beginning on that same page. That way, I can add blank pages at the end of each country if I want to. And I don't want to collect stamps beyond 1975 since that's when the "flood" of new issues became a tidal wave. If I come across some post-1975 pages I could add them to the album if I wanted too -- though so far I haven't. Well, I did once or twice but then took them out and decided to stick to my original plan of only collecting through 1975.

It sounds to me like you bought the wrong album for what you want to do. If I were you, I'd start over with the correct album rather than continuing to dig a hole you can't get out of deeper and deeper. You can buy one "part" of the current Scott International gradually over time. You don't have to do it all at once. That's how I did it. I bought one group of pages about every month or two. It took me nearly two years to get all the parts from 1840-1975. It just required some patience. That would solve all your problems, especially if you add blank pages here and there for countries where you have stamps that lack spaces. And that would be almost entirely limited to Part I (1840-1940). Later Parts of the Scott International are virtually complete, providing spaces for all stamps issued. It's the first part that is more selective which causes some people frustration.

Don't add stamps to the margins of your album pages. It ruins the look of pages and overcrowds the album. It's a sloppy practice, just as bad as collectors who can't control themselves and mount multiple copies of the same stamp on top of each other. Also consider adding interleaving between pages to prevent stamps on one page from grabbing at stamps on the other page. It makes an album work much better. I use clear interleaving since you can actually see through it and it will last much longer than glassine which I also find harder to work with, though it is a little cheaper.

Edited by DrewM - 07/16/2021 02:00 am
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now you want more album space covering more years.

I guess I didn't clarify - I'm not interested in going past 1940. If I wanted to go past 1940, I would have bought Volume 2, etc. at the same auction, which were available for less money than Volume 1 (less collector interest, presumably). Volume 1 simply leaves out a bunch of issues that are otherwise inexpensive and easy to obtain, so when I come across these in feeder albums, etc., I'm not sure what to do with them.

Quote:
But you knew that when you bought the album.

Well, no, I didn't - but that's on me, of course. I knew it had more spaces than the later versions, which Is why I went with it. After purchasing, I realized the countries didn't start on new pages, then understood this could be a pro and a con at the same time.

Quote:
Don't add stamps to the margins of your album pages. It ruins the look of pages and overcrowds the album.

Agree - I'm keen to avoid this.

Seem to have opened myself up to some criticism here... I was inspired by the 'supplements' in this album http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.co...ig-blue.html and wanted to see what other folks thought. Definitely a stronger preference to collect strictly 'to the album' than I had anticipated, which is of course a valid, interesting perspective... what I was looking for. As GeoffHa pointed out, "Collectors' views will vary"!

Myself, I'm leaning towards blank pages at the end of a country, as above. The '47 album layout makes that more challenging, so I was hoping someone had struck upon an elegant solution already.
Valued Member
United States
282 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so I was hoping someone had struck upon an elegant solution already.

Fair thing to hope, alas there is no good solution.

Honestly, your best bet is to ditch the volume, and just use it as inspiration; use Vario pages or some other similar system. You'd be able to move, add, and replace stamps on a whim, leave room for future additions, etc. It's pretty much the most flexible way to do things.

Another choice would be Palo pre-printed pages. You can choose color or b&w images, hingeless or not, and you can pick the specific countries and years you want. In effect, you can create the exact album you want, and expand it exactly as you want.

I only generally collect only to 1945 ('52 for BC and the '60s for French Colonies). I use Lighthouse/SG/MOC pre-printed pages and collect to them; anything that doesn't fit goes into a separate album(s). It's a choice I made years ago, the inherent limitations don't bother me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1983 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just thought of an idea. Instead of using the first page of a new country as is, can you mount the stamps from the new country over the leftover space(s) of the previous country? I understand that this will cause you to have identical stamps and illustrations in 2 separate places on page 1, but can't you fill in those spaces with duplicates/varieties? You could even mount stamps over any text in the middle of the page (e.g. the new country name). That will keep them out of the margins, at least on page 1. This way, you never have to look at the previous country's illustrations ever again. Perhaps you might need a way to add the country name to the top of the page? Seems like a small problem to solve.

Another idea. Since the additional pages won't have illustrations, why not skip using the last page of each country (since it abuts to the next country's first page)? If you do decide to collect and mount stamps from the very end of a country, use that last page as a guide, but mount those stamps on an additional page. You can then put it in any place within the country, along with all your extra add-in pages.

Likewise, if you are only collecting to 1940 instead of 1947, why not remove all the pages after your period of interest, which would give your additionals a place at the actual end of the country. For the "transition" page, you might consider my first idea above to "hijack" the entire page for the new country.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
848 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love the Big Blue as is and concentrate on collecting to the album. Inevitably, one gets stamps that there aren't spaces for -- high values in sets, etc. -- but I keep these "extra" stamps on Vario pages in a separate notebook. I definitely wouldn't want to clutter up the album with stamps in the margin. I've seen that look, and it's not for me. Ugh.
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add APS-ISWSC Member to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same issue with mine. I have started, but not completed, an index to address the issue of finding the initial and subsequent pages of a country. The same issue exists with back-of-the-book entries made coincident in time instead of being at the end- life's too short to index, but if I had access to a smart HS student ...
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same edition. I have relegated anything not in the book to a stock book right now, but have entertained the idea of getting a printer that can print on the larger international pages and reprint the last page of the country on a blank page and the subsequent first page on another blank page. I could then either have 2 blank pages after the country I want or I can print spaces for the stamps I have to make it more organized.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a similar dilemma (a new country starts on the back side of a page), though with Harris Citation albums which I've purchased used. I am compounding this by reorganizing my albums by geographic area (Europe, Africa, Oceania, etc.), and then alphabetically by country within each geographic region. My non U.S. interests are mostly topical, but I organize these by country not topic, and I mount every stamp I have, even when it doesn't correspond to a topic or country of interest, or doesn't have a dedicated space on the album page.

My own quirk but I'm not fond of "side albums", I like everything together. For example, my U.S. collection is in Harris Liberty albums. I am not a dedicated collector of plate blocks or FDC's, but when I have these I mount them on a blank page right after the page with the featured stamp, rather than in a separate album.

I am defiantly NOT collecting to my albums, and always looking for other ways to "break the conventional rules" .

It will be winter before I spend a lot of time indoors with my collection, but for now I do one of two things:

• I will put the "add on" stamps in a glassine and attach it to the album page with a hinge or removable Glue Dot, to be mounted later when I can redo the page.

• I take a Lighthouse Grande stock sheet (9-1/2 x 12-1/4 inches), trim the top and right edge down to 9 x 12 inches (the Harris page size) with my guillotine paper cutter, punch two holes on the left side to match the album post spacing, and insert it into the album.

As I said, I do not like "side albums" or stock books, other than for over stock.

I have a HP 7740 ink jet printer which can scan and print ledger size paper (11 x 17 inches). Over time I'll either scan and reprint a country's first and last pages, as percyjgp suggested, or print new pages for a country using Steiner, AlbumEasy, or just a blank, depending on the inventory for that country. I use Neenah 65 lb. lignin free ledger paper that I order from Office Depot, and cut it down to 9 x 12 after printing. I am finding all sorts of uses for the remnants. The blank Harris album pages available from Whitman were junk so I needed another paper. As a result I will have pages of different weight and brightness intermixed. This won't bother me, I'm sure this would drive some here to distraction. If the Scott blank refills will work you could have new lay out country pages printed at a print shop I would think.
Edited by moneil - 07/17/2021 12:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3101 Posts
Posted 07/18/2021   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From partial collections I have purchased still on Scott Internationals, there must be 3 or more different "edition" variations: organization, thin and later thicker paper, font differences.
Al
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like you, I have a Scott Vol. 1 from 47.

I struggled with the way some countries started (on the back of another) for a little while, up until I just decided not to worry about it anymore. I buy quadrille paper - Scott International version - and put my extras on those and add them to the album.

I do not add to margins, etc., and I try to collect to the album but invariably obtain plenty of stamps not in the album.
claymorgan.me Some philately discussions. Some pontificating.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
753 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do the same as ecmorgan. I just use blank quadrille pages for all the extras similar to those seen on BigBlue blog.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 781Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05