Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japanese Revenues Or Cinderellas?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 350Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
12 Posts
Posted 07/18/2021   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dandow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have these and a few more of these, which are not listed in the Shimomura catalog. Can anyone help me identify what these are? Some are in a series of values. Thanks for looking and sorry for the poor quality pictures!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Japan
259 Posts
Posted 07/18/2021   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello dandow, at a quick glance they seem to be;

- inspection labels and/or certificate labels issued by industrial associations ( images 5, 6, 8)
- private receipt labels for certain fees (such as inspection fee) (image 2)
- imitation postage stamp for training (image 3)
- author label for book (images 4, 7-top)
- private bank saving receipt label (image 1, 7-bottom)

I will look into further detail in the coming days.

Hironobu
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Japan
259 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   02:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dandow, here's my summary of further observations;

Image 1: Fuku Credit Union savings label - face value 1 Sen

Image 2: Inspection fee receipt certificate label from unknown producer association - to be confirmed with higher resolution image (especially to read the top inscription):

Image 3: postage training stamp - face value 1 Yen, with imitation datestamp of Osaka

Image 4: Book author label of Gai-Go Gaku-In (Foreign Language Academy) - with personal chop of "Sugi" (probably the surname of the book author)

Image 5: Rice inspection certificate label of Saitama prefecture - one "tawara" (straw bag of rice) - to be confirmed with higher resolution image (especially to read the inscriptions)

Image 6: Inspection certificate label of Kiryuu Products Trade Union

Image 7-top: Book author label of Hoshino-Shoten (Hoshino publication) - with personal chop of the author, unreadable

Image 7-bottom: (Savings?) Receipt Label of Fudou Finance company - face value 10 Yen

Image 8-left: Inspection Certificate label of The Japan Union Export Hosery Manufacturers Association

Image 8-right: Inspection Certificate label, association unknown (N.P. ?.?.A : similar labels known in various design and from various associations

P.S. I have a similar stamp of Image 2 and will check the details later.

- Hironobu
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much Hironobu! I have seen some of your other posts regarding Japan revenues, and value your determinations. I will be posting additional items later this week. Hopefully I can get better resolution with my phone camera.
Follow-up questions, it seems that the last two items (image 8, left and right) are for association in Manchuria (based on the 5-petal insignia). Is this correct? And were these associations only operating in Manchuria, or were they branches of a larger all-Japan association?
Is there a difference between an "inspection fee receipt certificate label" and an "inspection certificate label"?
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add APS-ISWSC Member to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazon sells clip-on secondary lenses for cell phone camers which work remarkably well for catuing fine detail ... see https://www.amazon.com/QEBIDUL-Univ...31390&sr=8-4
Valued Member
Japan
259 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello dandow,

I've found the stamp on image No.5 on my 1981 Shimomura catalogue; it is described as "Saitama prefecture rice inspection fee". The translation of the inscription at the centre of the stamp is "Outgoing Transfer Rice Inspection Fee Receipt Certificate Label".

Quote:
Follow-up questions, it seems that the last two items (image 8, left and right) are for association in Manchuria (based on the 5-petal insignia). Is this correct? And were these associations only operating in Manchuria, or were they branches of a larger all-Japan association?

Very nice observation, but I think this 5-petal insignia is representing cherry blossom, which is a common symbol used in Japan. The classical stamps (such as cherry blossom series) as well as hand-engraved revenues (yes, my favorite series) do have this symbol on the four corners of the stamp. The imperial seal of Manchukuo (Manchuria) has 5 petals but is representing a different flower, Eupatorium japonicum (the english Wikipedia page states that the symbol is representing orchid flower, but seems to be incorrect).

Quote:
Is there a difference between an "inspection fee receipt certificate label" and an "inspection certificate label"?

I meant "inspection fee receipt certificate label" as a receipt label for inspection fee, and "inspection certificate label" as a label which certificates that product has passed the inspection and certified as authorized product. To avoid confusion, it might be better to describe the former as "inspection fee receipt label". I'm not quite sure if there's any common terminology for such cinderella/labels, so I appreciate any suggestions from our english speaking colleagues !

And dandow, thanks for posting the images, and I'm looking forward to seeing your other items :-)

- Hironobu
Edited by unechan - 07/19/2021 7:11 pm
Valued Member
Japan
259 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   06:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello dandow, further finding;

Image 2: found an identical stamp in my stock book, and it determined to be "Chou-I Straw Bag Manufacturers Association / Inspection Fee Receipt Certificate Label". Chou-I is a region in Chiba prefecture.

As you may have already noticed, this label is a pretty obvious copy of the Tazawa 1 1/2 Sen postage stamp.

- Hironobu
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hironobu,
Thank you very much for all of your great information. I am uploading a number of additional items. Based on your previous messages, I can see that many of these certify an inspection (maybe call these inspection certifications?). I have 5 others that are larger and I need to reduce their size before I can post them.
Thanks, D Andow

Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to reduce the size of these larger labels, and would appreciate hearing any information about them. I realize the Imperial Hotel label has no specific function, but it is an older label, and I wonder how it was used. Thanks!!!
D Andow

Valued Member
Japan
259 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dandow, beautiful labels !

I'll post my observations later to the new thread. Some of them needs deciphering the traditional japanese font (called as "Ten-sho Tai") used for chops and seals so might take a while.

- Hironobu
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 350Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05