Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Local Album Pages

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 853Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
495 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Clive's case, there was no mention made of "Scott" on the album pages; only the numerals were used beneath the corresponding frame. Here's an example from one page from my personal album. The free upload version of this album does not bear the numbers.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by uboatnut - 07/20/2021 11:50 am
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 07/23/2021   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add locals4me to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Carriers and Locals Society is a nonprofit society and APS affiliate. Our website has the same name as our journal, Penny Post, and there are many resources available to serve the collector of these issues. Forgeries began to appear almost as soon as stamp collecting became a hobby, in the 1860's. JW Scott himself created a number of images to use in his stamp publications and for many years these look-alikes remained in the catalog. One of the major accomplishments of the C&LS was to send images of authentic stamps to Amos Publishing. This effort led to renewed interest in differentiating the many forgery types from each other and from authentic stamps. The album pages are in PDF format so that collectors may print out only those pages of interest. No pages for forgeries exist although the Farrell Reference Collection on the website is an excellent reference for collectors; it is still under construction but will eventually near completion.
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 08/06/2021   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bcantin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To the original poster: John, those pages you saw on eBay were very, very early Scott pages and haven't been available in a very long time. The only time I have ever seen these pages was in a 19th century Scott worldwide album, and the pages were so brittle they were cracking and seemingly turning to dust as I turned them.

Scott hasn't produced pages for locals since then,to the best of my knowledge - and your best bet is to download the free CLS pages as recommended. My recommendation: print them (or have them orinted) with a laser printer. If you print them with an inkjet, they will be prone to smears if anything moist touches them. Licking your fingers to turn the page, for example, will smear them - even long after they've dried.

Just my two cents.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3099 Posts
Posted 08/07/2021   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an attorney and not trying to play one, but if someone says they use Scott numbers by using the Scott name, then they are acknowledging some aspect of Amos Publishing claim. Scott should ultimately want a royalty but all those "free" works do not generate income. I wished the Scott-Krause lawsuit had gone to a verdict as the settlement left aspects vague.

I worked for a company that was very IP focused and had to handle licensing agreements so I am somewhat sympathetic to both sides.
Al
Edited by angore - 08/07/2021 07:25 am
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 08/07/2021   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't imagine that Amos could have a case if you just numbered your stamps without referring to Scott or Amos at all. They can't conceivably copyright the numerical system, nor claim that because the numbers coincide, it infringes on anything they hold.
Valued Member
89 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it's just a me thing, but apparently those stamps were glued onto the pages ... which would be even worse than hinged stamps these days, even uncanceled.
Edited by STTScott - 08/08/2021 08:23 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 853Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05