Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Should I Sell Individually Or In A Lot?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 554Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
34 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Cumer Canitez to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I have decided to sell my stamps and I have taken some photos of my collection; I am just wondering if I should sell them individually like listing on eBay ebid or some other auction website or still list on one of them websites but sell them as a lot? thanks for your suggestion in advance...

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
282 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you'll wind up doing both, as logic and economics dictate. Presuming you charge the buyer for shipping, you have to make it worthwhile for them to pay for shipping in the first place, which means one or more stamps totaling at least, say, $10. That could be achieved by offering a single, or series, or whole year's emission. Selling the collection as a whole might be easiest, but you'll get only a few cents on the dollar.

Best bet is to just model your sales practice on everyone else you see selling on eBay, Delcampe, Philasearch, or the like.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6626 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that some of the stamps are not genuine such as the Department of State stamps in your 7th scan down I would be careful how I sell the material whether as individual or group lots. Being honest and weeding out the chaff is a great start.

http://goscf.com/t/75673
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
923 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beyond the US, looks like you have some Papal (Roman) States & early GB too. So definitely broken out, at least into smaller groups/sets. And given that Papal States are a minefield of reprints/forgeries, disclaimers would be in order when selling.

Given your location in the UK, Delcampe or eBay are good bets for selling platforms. Hipstamp is mostly North American buyers.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
34 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cumer Canitez to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thank you very much for your opinions, yes, I am aware some of forgery stamps I have got in my collection, I have already had some opinions on this very website,

while you are sharing your opinion, can you please advise me how Can I stay safe while I am selling them? I mean, I have no intention to mislead anyone in order to sell my collection, so what should I say to avoid disappointments?

I have never sold stamps before but bought a lot of them years ago,
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5771 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   3:23 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I include a disclaimer along the lines of "unless stated, not checked for forgeries", but that's for general lots. Where you know they're fakes, you should describe/sell them as such.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
923 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Online sites allow the selling of forgeries/reprints, so long as they are clearly identified as such. So "probable forgery", "reprint" or some language like that in the title (not buried in the description). Some people like to collect forgeries, just sold a couple Japanese ones.
Pillar Of The Community
1014 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It will take much more time to sell stamps individually, but when it's all said and done you'll make a lot more money that way. Time yields money. Selling everything as one lot will go quickly and be simple and easy, but you'll make far less that way. So it depends on what you want.

I'd sell each item that's worth more than a few dollars separately (if I had the time!). Some could perhaps be sold as groups of stamps from the same set, if you want to simplify things a little.

Add a reasonable and modest shipping charge to each sale, but if a buyer purchases more than one item, you might lower the shipping price for each subsequent item. High shipping prices scare me away fast, so be moderate about them.

Either give no description at all and just say "as is" or "as pictured," or be precise in your description -- used, mint lightly hinged, mint heavily hinged, and so on. For stamps worth more than maybe a few dollars, I'd try to include a picture of the back of the stamp, too. More work, though. If I see "no returns accepted" I wonder what the seller might be hiding, but you can do that if you wish. I imagine most buyers don't even bother to look. Still, accepting returns if a stamp is not what it appears to be does seem fairer. Up to you.

Either list at a purely "buy it now" price or as an auction with bidding -- or offer both. I prefer "buy it now" most of the time since it simplifies and speeds up the process. But that's just me, and I've gotten some good bargains a few times by bidding.

As for what price you ask,I'd sell at a small fraction of catalogue prices since higher prices generally go unsold. That's your choice, but well below half catalogue value seems best unless a stamp is genuinely very hard to find. About 1/3 of catalogue value seems about right to me, give or take, and if I find stamps I need that are in good condition at much lower than that, I pretty much can't resist.

To lighten the burden a little, you might go slowly and offer only a fraction of your stamps at any one time. It makes the process easier and more manageable. But it will take much longer, of course if that's a concern.

Oh, one more thing. When a seller lists by including a Scott catalogue number they are far more likely to be seen by buyers in the U.S. and Canada since most buyers will search by catalogue number. Listing with only the Stanley Gibbons number means most U.S. buyers who search by number won't even see the listing. If you don't have a U.S. Scott catalogue, buy a used copy on eBay cheaply so you can include Scott numbers. Little things like this do matter.

Good luck!
Edited by DrewM - 07/20/2021 7:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6626 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even if you specify "no returns accepted," under the eBay Money Back Guarantee, the buyer can still return an item if it doesn't match the listing description.
Pillar Of The Community
1014 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
" . . . if it doesn't match the listing description."

Sure, but that's the problem. You have to go through dispute resolution with eBay which I've had to do a couple of times. That takes time, and so on. Better, on the whole, I think to accept returns and be nice about it. You might set the return "window" to a shorter time, though, like 10 days or even a week. That puts a little of the burden on the buyer to make a decision quickly
Pillar Of The Community
3753 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A buyer can return any lot for any reason (or absolutely no reason) regardless of the seller's sales conditions.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
34 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cumer Canitez to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot, to you all, I don't intend to become Pro seller, I assume it is the best to take it step by step, on start, a few stamps each time and so on, by the way, I have got far more stamps in few boxes at home, photos are from only one album, not all of them such expensive or valuable stamps, once again, I thank you very much for your advises.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4467 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please confirm. Return/ money back possibilities by eBay, PayPal and credit card.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5771 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   2:43 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a little hard to see the GB from your photos, but, from what I can make out, you could offer the 1d black separately (they seem to attract bidders irrespective of condition), then the other QV as a group.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
698 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   07:12 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The online sites mentioned are for the benefit of buyers. A good seller had no protection against a bad buyer. Also, prices tend to the lower end and ultimate commissions add up to 20%, the same as if you used a conventional auction house.

I find collector groups on facebook are much better. They pay more and they complain less. You have no fees to deal with. More work for you, but a better return.

When selling, you cannot have enough photos and don't presume things you don't know. If you're not sure, post up lots of photos and let the buyer make an informed choice.

Good luck.

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 554Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05