Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1851-57 Imperfs - Buying Tips?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 238Next Topic  
Valued Member
306 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add canyoneer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All - I am interested in adding a couple of the higher denominations of this imperf series to my US collection. I saw a few at a recent show/bourse but am uncomfortable purchasing anything without a certificate. Are there any basic IDs that a person could use to make sure they are getting, say a #17 and not a #36 with removed perfs? I saw a post recently about the certification of #315 singles is usually based on a minimum heights/widths. Not sure if something similar might apply to the 1851-7 series.

The couple dealers I spoke with said they would grant an extension but if there's something obvious I could check on the spot, it would save everyone's time and effort. Thanks in advance.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6382 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My tip for a 17 would be to ensure adequate margins. This SCF topic gives a bit of illustrated info:

https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...OPIC_ID=5425

Understanding how issues were manufactured to include spacing, perforations etc. is key.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1505 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sc #17 and Sc #36 (as opposed to #36B) were both printed from the same plate, and so are identical except for the perforations. So the only way to know for sure is to have a #17 that has enough margin to show a portion of an adjacent stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7477 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"So the only way to know for sure is to have a #17 that has enough margin to show a portion of an adjacent stamp".

Even that wouldn't prove it unless the opposite margin is wide enough to make it certain; it could just be an off center example. But very few trimmed examples seem to be around, since the 36 has about an equal cat value.
Valued Member
306 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking at some #12's and #17's in the Stamp Smarter PSE Cert database and there are quite a few that don't show any portion of an adjoining stamp. There must be a minimum size that they use in order to make the call.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7477 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The margins between the positions on those plates are so small, it is all but impossible to find four margin perforated examples.

http://pfsearch.org/pfsearch/pf_grd...lledfrom=lkp

It's really obvious on 17.

http://pfsearch.org/pfsearch/pf_grd...lledfrom=lkp
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 238Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05