Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Offer 10,000+ Vintage Stamp Hinges

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 15 / Views: 837Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
205 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add johnsim03 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought these awhile ago for a project that I am no longer pursuing.

Lot consists of the following:

2,000 Dennison Folded Hinges
5,000 Fold-O-Hinge Folded Hinges
2,000 Honor-Built Folded Hinges
1,000 Western Folded Hinges

I personally guarantee satisfaction on this lot.

Lot is housed in glassines, 1000 hinges to a glassine (i.e. 10 glassines) and identified as to quantity (1000) and brand name. They are not mixed.

Below are the images of the lot, before they were removed from the packaging and placed in the glassines.

Shipped postpaid and tracked to a verified USA address only because of weight.

I would welcome your best offer over $150 USD, with payment by PayPal only.

There will be a bonus glassine of vintage hinges included in the lot for the purchaser.

If you want to ask questions, or make an offer, please send me a message through the SCF system.

Thanks for your consideration...

John Knudsen
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1000 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This seems quite odd. HInges in their original sealed packaging is a guarantee you're buying that particular brand of hinges. You indicate each package has (sorry, "had") its original number of hinges, so they would likely have been sealed. If they were not still sealed, at least being in the original package increases the likelihood they are that brand. So why trash the packaging and put them in glassine envelopes so they become just random hinges you can't identify anymore? What am I missing here?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can buy 10,000 dennisen hinges from several source on eBay right now, for about <=$35.00, so I don't think $150 is much of a deal here :-)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32503 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The price shocked me also,

Quote:
So why trash the packaging and put them in glassine envelopes so they become just random hinges you can't identify anymore? What am I missing here?

Good point. I missed that.

Where do "Fold o" hinges rate in the hierarchy of good hinges?

Quote:
so I don't think $150 is much of a deal here

No. no... best offer OVER $150
Edited by rod222 - 07/20/2021 7:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3659 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jamesg,
You are confusing the high quality vintage DennisOn and the modern poor quality DennisEn hinges.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
205 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys - you are not supposed to be chatting in this thread, according to the rules...

First of all, I guarantee what I am offering. They are the real deal. People who regularly use quality vintage hinges KNOW what they look like, how they feel, how they work, etc.

The floor price is quite reasonable, based upon what these are selling for.

I would appreciate it if you hold your snarky comments.

ps John, I appreciate your posting.

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 07/20/2021 7:50 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32503 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is fair to ask questions on Items for sale.
I had interest with the thread title.
If you wanted them sold to only people whom are familiar with them,
state that.
Some of us have no idea what Dennison or Fold O hinges sell for.
As I stated, I was shocked.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1485 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fold-O-Hinge -- I have been using these for 10 years after receiving several packs in an estate collection. They hold well and peel readily--I like them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1953 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to be naive as I have not used a hinge in decades. Are Fold-O hinges still made?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6382 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1) The price seems in line with what these excellent quality vintage hinges are selling for.
2) Who cares if the price was not in line. It is the seller's prerogative to ask what they feel they need or want to.
3) There are obviously collectors that are not aware that there are knock-off hinges on the market that suck.
4) If you see many listings of hinges at a ridiculously low price think twice about why that is.

If I used hinges I would take them John. They will sell quickly.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32503 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They hold well and peel readily--I like them.

Thanks Christopher.

Quote:
Sorry to be naive as I have not used a hinge in decades. Are Fold-O hinges still made?

I use about 3,000+ a year or so, I use the German, which are fine but "grab" terribly, if you are a new novice user.

I have seen and wondered about "Fold O" seen here around $10 and upwards per 1000, but scarce in my experience, suggesting they are no longer made.
Further to CJ's advice, I'll give them a shot when they come up again.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32503 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is the seller's prerogative to ask what they feel they need or want to.

Of course,
however, it is also our prerogative to exercise our right to "caveat emptor" Why they were re-packaged was was/is a valid question.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
205 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   05:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The answer is a complicated one. You see, I joined SCF back in 2013 because I "knew" that, one day -
I would try and defraud the community there of $150. Yes, I am a con man who has just been sitting
here waiting for the golden opportunity to fleece someone. Well, now is my golden opportunity. I am
going to trade my good name and reputation for a lousy hundred and fifty bucks...

Wow, that felt good, now how about the real reason. The real reason is simply contained in the
first line of my listing. I intended to use the hinges for a project. These sealed paper envelopes are
about half a century old (or more), and I detest them.

There used to be a level of trust among stamp collectors. I miss that.

I personally guarantee the items. They are returnable if not satisfied.

This offer is only available to folks with a valid USA address - sorry.

I would have preferred to answer any questions via the SCF email system, instead of having to engage
in running commentary/conversation here in this thread...

My posting is clear and I am happy to answer any questions about it. It is not a fire sale.
I do not think I need to justify what it is I am selling, because it is self-explanatory.

Don't like the price? Send me an offer or disregard the listing. It makes no difference to me.
Again - it is not a fire sale!

John
Valued Member
306 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always tried to use Dennison or Fold-o-hinge for my foreign stamps for years. They run around $20 a pack on eBay. This offer for 10 packs seems very reasonable to me.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4403 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very fair offer.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
205 Posts
Posted Yesterday   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, everyone - for your interest in this lot.

I will be closing this for best offers in a couple of days - probably Sunday evening (7-25-21) at midnight (central time). Any one who has made an offer already will get another chance if they've been bumped.

John
  Replies: 15 / Views: 837Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05