Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone Explain These Coil Stamp Perforations?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 302Next Topic  
Valued Member

Israel
37 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gum side to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There isn't much information documented on Palestine Mandate coils, and from what little there is - in broad strokes - coil stamps existed in one of two forms: one was by paste-up from guillotined strips and the other was by continuous coil.

The paste-up types don't exhibit any special perforations, they look like regular postage stamps. But the continuous roll types have - every few stamps - one with either a very thick (wide) tooth or one with a very narrow tooth:

This is a 5m strip with a "key stamp" bearing the thick tooth:

This is a 10m strip with a "key stamp" bearing the thin tooth (barely perceptible in the image):

My question is, why would continuous rolls have these types of perforation and what purpose did they serve? Is this phenomenon observed on coil stamps of other countries?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3539 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was it possible if they were using comb perforations on continuously attached stamps to begin the new comb placement either closer to where it previously ended (thin) or farther from where it previously ended (thick)?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gum-side, it is very hard ( on my computer ) to see what you are talking about. Could you please use black background when scanning stamps?

Peter
Valued Member
Israel
37 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies for that - they're not my images. Here are mine, but the difference is, what has been documented so far is a) either a pattern of just a thick perf tooth or a thin perf tooth at the far end of the horizontal axis - not both together, and b) a periodic occurence, once every 3-4 stamps.

My illustrations here show both perf types together and on a constant basis at the far edge of each horizontal axis: a thin tooth for the upper edge of the hole and a thicker tooth at the bottom. Also, the documented pattern belongs to a coil type with 14 horizontal perf holes; the ones in my images here are with 13 holes.

* these images are just for illustration: the purpose of my question in this thread is about these types of perforations in general, not specifically about the illustrations I've posted now;
Edited by gum side - 07/21/2021 09:34 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 302Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05