Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newb Here - Need Help With Large Hermes Head Greece Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 281Next Topic  

Canada
2 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Morpheus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, first time posting here and thank you in advance for any advice and support. I'm trying to identify a few Greece Hermes... but I need your help. I will attach them to this post... Thank you

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2456 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1L: This value is always hard to separate by issue. In-person examination is much preferred. Otherwise, my best guess is that this is from the 1875 issue. The left side looks stained(?) and throws off evaluation of the paper type. If the paper color and quality is like that of the 10L shown, then it is very likely from the 1875 issue.
2L: By the shade (always a problem with scans), this is from the 1870 issue.
10L: Do you have/have access to a catalog? If so, you should be able to figure this one out quite easily. It can only be one stamp.
5L:This appears to be from the 1872 issue. The paper should show a definite mesh, which you can see by holding to the light.
40L: By the apparent shade, print quality and assuming this is on blue paper, this appears to be from the 1868 Cleaned Plates issue.

No help from the blurry image which makes the ID more of guess. And I suggest you use a black background instead of bluish gray which throws off paper colors at minimum.

first 20L: By impression an overall appearance, I think this is from the 1872 issue. If so, it should be on a thin paper showing a mesh.
second 20L: By impression front and back and the paper, this should be from the 1875 issue.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Canada
2 Posts
Posted 08/09/2021   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Morpheus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much. I appreciate you evaluate them. I do not have access to a catalog, being new ....but I time I will try to see how I can have access to a catalog. Initial those has been evaluated by an other collector as #1, till #4 and #4a ... I read about printing in Paris and later in Athena ....and I was hopping they are actually #1 ...
I will label them in my collection as you suggested ... Thank you again
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2456 Posts
Posted 08/09/2021   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps of the first 1861 issue (Paris print) are very much more finely printed and the printed parts are embossed into the paper. They are very distinctive if you ever see one.

Try the reference section of your local library for Scott catalogs or perhaps Stanley Gibbons. Sometimes older copies are available and can be checked out. They are not that useful for separating Large Hermes Heads but should help a lot with many, many other stamps.

Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 281Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05