Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Conservation Advice Needed.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 172Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add CoffeeRules to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've recently bought a lot of Canal Zone stamps stored in white stock book pages.
Some of the stamps have yellowing of the perforations caused from the stock book page.

Is there anything I can do to get the stamp back to a nice crisp white?
Or stop the yellowing process caused from the acid in the pages.

I've moved all the stamps to a stock book of Vario pages as a start.

Have these stamps lost their value?

Fortunately some stamps weren't touching the stock pages so they are in very nice condition.

JoanneG

Edit: I would post a picture but I don't know how and I don't have a good camera to do it anyway.
Send note to Staff
Edited by CoffeeRules - 07/21/2021 6:17 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5668 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   6:27 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience (most recently today, when some of a Madagascan collection I bought has been discoloured by the stock-book), toning is there to stay. It will reduce value, but not usually destroy it - I almost expect it on older French engraved stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9475 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   6:29 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Conservation means preserving stamps, not restoring them. You could restore the paper to whiteness with various chemicals but this would negatively impact the stamps and their value. It would also open the door for documenting what you have done and disclosing it if the collection ever passes from your hands. Most people want to know if the stamp and covers they are getting have been chemically altered or 'restored'.

Sounds like you have done what most people do, which is remove them from the acidic conditions (poor quality stock book) and the toning (browning) of the stamp edges. Also a cool, dry and stable storage environment is paramount; temperatures should be held at a constant 70F with a relative humidity held between 30% and 50%.
Don
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don

Thank you for differentiating between conservation and restoration, I appreciate that.
I guess Im going to have to deal with the yellowing and realize what it is...is what it is.

My stamp location is in my bedroom and it stays a nice 70-75 through out the day. I think the humidity is low because of the air conditioning.

JoanneG
Learn More...
9475 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   7:52 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like to think of it as 'patina'. :)

Many hobbies value the aging of an item (i.e. numismatics, antiques, etc.) but I am unsure why this hobby does not seem to have the same perspective. Even the old car hobby is now clear coating old, faded paint original paint jobs as opposed to restoring a car.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 172Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05