Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do Collectors Collect This Type Of Bonds

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 574Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
7653 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a few of these from the 20's and 30's.
Do collectors pay attention to them..??
Robert

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
273 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   4:13 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely. The collecting endeavor is called Scripophily and belongs to the numismatics family.

The engravings on some of these stock/bond certificates are fantastic!

John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by johnsim03 - 07/22/2021 4:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7653 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John

Guess I will put them away and keep them.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
736 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are fiscal history collectors who love to analyze the tax rates for new issues of stock or the tax rates for transfer of ownership of stock. on transfers there are sometimes three sets of tax stamps: federal, state of residence, and state where the transfer is taking place. I am not aware that the scripophilists care much about the stamps. They potentially interfere with the beauty of the artwork of the certificates. The tax rates on bonds may at times differ from that on stocks.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
United States
885 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wert

IMO the best looking bond you'll ever see: https://www.icollector.com/Compagni...nd_i31822896

I have on of these framed and hanging on my wall.
Pillar Of The Community
7653 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gettinold...That is a beautiful stock..Makes all of mine like kids drew them...haha

revenuermd...Thanks for the info...

Robert
Edited by wert - 07/22/2021 7:48 pm
Valued Member
Canada
264 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to Erling van Dam himself, Stock Transfer stamps on documents are not in high demand. This is with a focus on the stamps themselves and their catalogue value. Not to be confused with Scripophily as mentioned above. I have a fair number of full documents packed with a wide variety of Ontario Stock Transfer Tax Stamps (OST) and Excise Tax (FX). His little website, canadarevenuestamps.com offers many of these stamps, but none on documents. He has a few I don't have and I have some he doesn't have. I think these are very cool on full documents and they have an interesting story behind their use. I hope to see a time when the demand comes around because I would like to sell one day. A lot of mine have a staple right through them, so I'm trying to fend off rust the whole time I have them stashed away. I have put up some of these pictures before. These are also interesting because they have the names of real people on them. That could lead to an interesting research project on it's own. I also have a group of about 300 of these without stamps starting right from number B0001.

my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may also want to check the signatures. Many were signed by the original owners of the companies: JD Rockefeller, Henry Ford, etc. so you may have some valuable autographs as well.
Pillar Of The Community
7653 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never even gave that a thought Stephen
Will have to do a little investigation.

Thanks for the info.
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
622 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,

I got a chuckle out of the title of this post. The answer had to be someone collects these. I am glad several others gave you some ideas on why one might collect them. You should look at some of Revenuecollector's posts with his finds of revenue stamps on documents. He looks at the documents, as well as, the stamps cancels, double transfers, usage, etc. Definitely similar to postal history in regard to signatures and dates.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7539 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And he is far from alone in such endeavors.
Pillar Of The Community
7653 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info guys...

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1283 Posts
Posted 08/20/2021   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert, there is actually a sub-forum on SCF devoted to this kind of material: http://goscf.com/f/18
Affixed revenues are less collected than stocks/bonds with revenue stamped paper.

There is also a similar forum on the Coin Community Family that focuses on the stocks and bonds themselves, apart from the revenues.
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...FORUM_ID=165

You'll find me lurking about on both.
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 08/22/2021   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be hard to find anything that someone, somewhere, didn't collect. The trick is finding the right people who are interested.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 574Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05