Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Types In Stampworld Catalogue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 676Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
17 Posts
Posted 07/23/2021   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EdnaK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

When entering stamps in Stampworld I notice a column with 'type' and entries such as A, C, B2 etc. I had one stamp that had 2 entries with the same details except different types. Have tried googling but only get types of stamps such as rubber, self-inking etc. Can some kind soul please explain what the entries in this column mean.

Many thanks

David

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Am not familiar with Stampworld.

However, the Scott Postage Stamp Catalogue utilizes alpha identifiers to denote stamp "type". Such as B for semi-postal, C for airmail, J for postage due, etc.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Often, there are various types available, but keep in mind that Stampworld is using their own numbering system because they don't want to pay to use Scott numbers. It's kind of a mess.
Valued Member
Australia
17 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdnaK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. Still somewhat confused. Am surprised the Scott Postage numbers are copyrighted. From coin collecting the catalogue site I use often refers to KM catalogue numbers and others. Maybe they are doing it illegaly?
So from what I can gather, 2 identical stamps may be assigned different type letters because some were used for regular post and some for airmail?

Thanks
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Specific to your final paragraph: No.

Scott (as well as other philatelic catalogues) assigns a unique catalogue nbr to a given stamp reflective of it's intended use. Such as regular post, air mail, postage due, etc. IOW each stamp within Scott is assigned a unique catalogue nbr.

Actual usage (of the respective stamp) does not affect the Scott catalogue nbr.

Assigning a unique catalogue identifier (nbr) supports effective communications btwn collectors, dealers, etc. IOW, if I advise you that I have a (insert condition) Spain 445 available for purchase/trade we both will be referring to a specific stamp.

Lastly, as noted by Cepheus, the Scott catalogue numbering system is copyrighted as it represents intellectual property. And I suspect other catalogue publishers feel similarly.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1532 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the Types used (idiosyncratically) by Stampworld correspond generally to the Types as used in the Scott catalog. That is, they refer to differences in a basic stamp design that warrant (in the view of Stampworld as well as Scott) a separate catalog entry. For example, in Stampworld the US 1851 One-Cent Franklin stamp is given a series of catalog numbers ranging from 3 to 3G. Each number corresponds to a different type (ranging from C to C7). The types are defined by the descriptions. Thus Stampworld #3C is Type C3, outer frame lines broken at both top and bottom. This corresponds to Scott #8, Type III.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
624 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Generally, Scott catalogs are used in the US, Stanley Gibbons in GB and associated countries. There are many country or regional specific catalogs. When writing on the forum is is a good idea to include which catalog that you are using and a description of the stamp if you are using stampworld. Stampworld is a functional free catalog that kind of follows scott catalog but sometimes it does not translate well.
Valued Member
30 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sotwuser to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The type column in StampWorld is a design designator. If you click on the link, it will show you all of the stamps with that same design. The first stamp with each unique design just receives a letter value (can be one or more letters). The additional stamps with the same design have a number added sequentially.
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What drives me crazy about StampWorld is that they don't list anything back of book. Zero. For anyone, at least that I've seen. What the heck is up with that?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4479 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried the scroll down "search" then "category?"
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. Nothing. All of the categories, so far as I can tell, are based on the image on the stamp. If they're there, from any country anywhere, I can't work out how to find them. If you go into the individual country listings, there is nothing but regular definitive and commemorative stamps. No airmail, no revenues, no postage due, no nothing.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
84 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rascal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp world does have all the different categories of stamps.
First I click on an area at the top of the page like North America, then click on the United States, then on the righht side of the screen under search it probably shows postage stamps with the down arrow. Click on the down arrow. All the other categories should appear for you to select. Hope this helps.
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That seems absurdly complicated, especially since, on the main page, under the country, they could list back of book. At least I know it's there now. Thanks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 676Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05