Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unable To Find Mauritanian Stamp In Stampworld Catalogue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 338Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
17 Posts
Posted 07/23/2021   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EdnaK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I have a sample of this stamp:

https://www.alamy.com/postage-stamp...9814504.html

For the life of me I cannot find it or any stamp from the series in the Stampworld catalogue. I suspect it's somewhere odd. With the Stampworld forum offline I'm hoping a fellow Stampworld user can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

David
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7604 Posts
Posted 07/23/2021   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried French Colonies?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Australia
17 Posts
Posted 07/23/2021   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdnaK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately all the French colonies seem to be pre WWII so no dice.

David
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7604 Posts
Posted 07/23/2021   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, it is not a regular postage stamp but a revenue stamp. Stampworld lists some revenue stamps for some countries - check the drop-down menu on the right side of the page

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4470 Posts
Posted 07/23/2021   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Listed under the postage due section. A little tricky to find.
Valued Member
Australia
17 Posts
Posted 07/23/2021   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdnaK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, found it. Thank you so much.

Now my next question is, when was this stamp affixed to the letter? Is it after the letter was dropped in the letterbox and was used by the PO at the end of the line to indicate the receiver had to pay the shortfall on postage?

Thanx
Edited by EdnaK - 07/23/2021 9:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5774 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   01:42 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postage due stamps are added to the envelope by the post office, and the recipient then pays the additional amount. Whether these and similar issues from other former French colonies were much used for their intended purpose is unlikely - I think that all used examples I've had were cancelled to order for the stamp collecting market.
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   07:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Agree with Geoff. Believe this (and similar design) postage due stamps were produced for the "packet trade".

Believe you may also find this type of stamp in se-tenant (adjoined) condition.

Lastly, "timbre tax" denotes "postage due".
Pillar Of The Community
France
1872 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the complete set.
No real postal use,indeed. They exist on maximum cards too!
Valued Member
Australia
17 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdnaK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the extra info!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 338Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05