Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017 Forever Stamps That Has No Plate Numbers. Is This Automatically Fake.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 716Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StampSF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought 2 coils from a seller on mercari.com for $70 + $3.65 shipping.

I read online that every 20 to 25 stamps I should see a plate # on it.
After looking at each stamp I do not see any plate # on it. Are these considered fake?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7613 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. Yes, most likely are counterfeit. If you are a collector and own a Scott specialized catalog they have a chapter for these and you can check. Another way to check would be the presence of tagging

Peter

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 07/24/2021 3:17 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
281 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   3:24 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS Announcement for PSA Coil Rolls of 100 of this issue states that the plate number appears every 31st stamp.

John
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampSF to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for the help with this, yea these seem to be fake the more I read about them.

At first, I see the small print of "USPS" on the flag and thought maybe there is a chance they could genuine.

This is the 2nd roll that I didn't bother to open up.

Edited by StampSF - 07/24/2021 3:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
701 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One big red flag about these fake and other design forever stamps is that you purchased them well under face value. In your case, $110 for only $70 + S&H. Had you shopped better, you could have picked up the fakes as low as $9.95 per $55 forever coil roll. But that seller has been removed from eBay, by eBay.

Now current below face forever postage in unopened coils are not all fake, some are just hot finds as in out the back door, five finger discount, shrinkage, self initiated employee compensation increase, fell off the truck, got them in a storage unit auction, individual initiated wealth redistribution, and other similar euphemisms, for those no longer PC terms stolen and looted.

Now if the seller tells you they shut down their retail office, those were the fake coils too as the buyer learned upon receipt.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
74 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwanghoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a recent US Specialized, but here's photo taken from an eBay seller demonstrating the better quality and number of these fakes.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any of these recent flag and "simple" single design issues that are rife with fraud regardless of price.

Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampSF to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that image I will save it on my desktop.
I did order a bunch of stamps on the USPS website.

I just wanted more stamps and decided to try that website mercari. The guy and his perfect feedback sure fooled me..haha.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of this stuff is coming from China.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...143749TSe9Aq
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see a ton of these for sale on Facebook Marketplace, sadly. Clearly counterfeits, and Rog's link on Alibaba is just the tip of the iceberg. One wonders how much of a revenue hit this is each year to the USPS. Reporting them is like whack-a-mole, and I doubt the Facebook mods take these very seriously.
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampSF to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankfully the legit stamps from USPS arrived today so I can use them.

I'm not going to lie, I did test the fake counterfeit on Saturday and mailed out a letter just to see what would happen.
The person I mailed the letter, said she got it.

It was too much for my head to handle, I toss the rest of the stamps in a box and threw it into my closet.
Edited by StampSF - 07/28/2021 9:23 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 716Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05