Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Early Belgium Stamped Paper Or Something Else?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 221Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1551 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   7:33 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found these 2 pages and I'm guessing it is some sort of stamped paper but the note at the top of the 1st page has me confused;

Thanks

Ken
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7603 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken, the note is confusing. But what makes you think Belgium? As far as I know neither the Netherlands or Belgium ever used an "S" as an abbreviation for their money.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1551 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   9:04 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only reason I think Belgium is because these were in a large group of unusual Belgium material. I think it comes from the Leo Malz stock and most of this material seems to be correctly identified, other than that I have no idea.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
922 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's the Belgian lion crest alright, and during that period it was known as the Austrian Netherlands. So these do look like stamped revenue paper cutouts from the period.
Valued Member
210 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found this: maybe...

Belgian antique gold and silver coins are florins, sols, and liards, septims, and francs,..
Edited by patg23 - 07/24/2021 11:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
706 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   03:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The S probably stands for Stuiver. 1/20 of a Florin/guilder.

Abbreviated back then as a S or a ST.

See next post.
Edited by Johan Buvelot - 07/25/2021 10:28 am
Belgium
3 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cda125 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This is the beginning of my document.
I think it is a deed of a notary and the "4 S" was the fee for the notary, being 4 sols.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
706 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the same period: Sieg money from the Mainz 1793 siege.

Both Sous and Sols is used.

Found this one and 3 others in an old book.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1551 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   3:58 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou to everyone who contributed, I think cda125's document nailed it!

PS Welcome to the forum cda125.

Ken
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 221Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05