Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Collecting Inspiration?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 504Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add classic_paper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sometimes we burn out, or look for a different direction for an existing collection, or want something new entirely. Maybe "world-wide" or "plate blocks" isn't doing it for you anymore. Perhaps it's time for a new country, or era. Or, you're looking for something, but don't know what...

So, I'd like to start a thread where we can post (no pun intended!) collecting ideas for each other. Common or obscure, cheap or expensive, easy or difficult, all ideas welcome.

I'll start with: balloon mail from Paris during the Franco-Prussian War.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
234 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll add: Properly used, in period, non-philatelic postal cards. Not usually expensive (by catalog value; eBay doesn't have a clue), except for overseas cards usage. Always good for postmark variety.
They are a fun side collection.
Hopefully when shows start to open back up, can start going through dealer boxes again.
Pat
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Inkmanno1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
US proofs and their counterparts. The different colors and different designs are fascinating (to me) compared to their officially issued cousins. Seeing what was kept as the final design or parts of. You'll wonder why you didn't start sooner.

Plus they are usually on the cheaper side and uncancelled making them look....well......like proofs :D
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
799 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm halfway through collecting material for an album of one-penny stamps. GB, that is. Starting with the Penny Black of course and running right up to the latest 1p security Machins.

There is an option on expanding to Commonwealth - most countries which used British currency also issued penny stamps.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting topic. Thanks for initiating.

For my collecting partner (daughter) and I, the pandemic has provided an opportunity for increased philatelic activity. While Allison continues to add material to our joint WW collection, I decided to pursue a different path.

Across the last several months have focused on a handful of countries including Romania and Argentina. Specifically varieties: watermarks, perforations, paper types, shades, etc.

Cost of material acquisition not particularly costly (including "discovery" of many previously unrealized items within existing albums and duplicates). Although specialty catalogues more so.

Despite being a collector for many years, this latest interest/focus has resulted in new found enthusiasm as well as expanded knowledge.
Valued Member
Canada
8 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zagraham to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've decided to collect Scott #1396 FDCs. My mother bought one for me on July 1, 1971, and looking at it recently brought up all sorts of happy memories. Unfortunately, I've learned that lots of folks collect these and that, as a result, they aren't cheap to buy singly. (And I'm nothing if not cheap!)

I've also been adding US precancels to a nascent precancel collection. As well, I'm considering starting a topical Abraham Lincoln collection.

Great idea for a thread!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1517 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The United States Stamp Society is soon to release a new book on the Fourth Bureau issue (it bridges the Washington-Franklin era to the Prexies) and that inspired me to start collecting solo correct rate usages on cover.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
500 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect US and I collect most of the back of the book categories. When I it starts getting mundane, I'll concentrate on a different category for a while.

A few years back I made sets of everything front and back of the book for birth years as gifts for siblings and children.

I recently moved all my Air Mails into new albums that I made. Making these albums takes time and a bit of imagination, it also offers a good break from the routine collecting activities. I also do a good bit of research into the stamps so there's always a mix of activities that I can change gears to.
Valued Member
Netherlands
28 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hansthedutchman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have two new topics I want to start to collect:

1 covers from and to my town of birth ( Schiedam, Netherlands) and stamps with a clear Schiedam cancel.
2 A collection of postal stationery one of each country in the world

I will use Albumeasy to create pages for this collections
Pillar Of The Community
United States
777 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You beat me to it, hansthedutchman. I was going to say collect covers/cancels from a hometown.

Another is to collect one's birthdate cancels.

Another which I have pursued is to collect shades of a particular issue.

A few years ago, I read an article (in the AP? Linn's? Right here???) about a guy who created his family tree - in family tree format, with branches and roots, etc - and for each entry mount a stamp from that person's year of birth. He also gave thought to specific dates of birth (day, rather than year only) or topic of interest to the person. I am also a genealogist - this article resonated with me.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 07/28/2021 2:27 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 504Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05