Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This The Scott Listed Rd39 Stock Transfer Double Impression?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 240Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5247 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   11:02 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My eyes and brain keep playing tricks on me. Depending on what/how I look at this stamp, I can see two impressions offset NE to SW with respect to one another, but if I look at other elements it just looks like ink spread.

Thoughts?

Image is 3200dpi, so you may want to open it in a new window to see it larger.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For comparison double impression stamps of the underlying series, see Eric Jackson's website. He usually has illustrated examples of double impression items for sale. Perhaps Eric will see you post and answer directly as he is on SCF.

That said, I only collect the underlying documentary series (due to uses as you showed here: http://goscf.com/t/78071 ) and this looks like the double impression I own of the various denominations, including the 2 cent shown.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 07/25/2021 2:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7543 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is not the double impression, which is much more obvious. This is more of a "bounce" print, where the plate jumped slightly when the print occurred. Not uncommon.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
736 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just offered a course in the APS summer seminar on the Series of 1917 documentary. The underlying stamp was initially printed by the Buffalo firm of Huebner Bleistein by offset using lithographic plates. When Congress found out they insisted that the BEP do the printing. BEP added dots inside the circles to the left and right of the word CENT (on the 1) and CENTS on the other cents denominations. In 1924 the BEP created high etch plates which could still be used on the offset presses. With improper adjustment of pressure, the ink could splash into the white spaces, creating what the late George Brett called splash or squeeze. Go read his articles published by the US Stamp Society circa 1991. The advantage of the high etch plates was the number of impressions they could obtain before the plate wore out.

To answer Dan Harding's question this is not a double impression, it is George Brett's squeeze or splash. Take a look at the 50 Silver Tax. Every one of them is this squeeze or splash!

Better yet, go to the APS C3a and view the three sessions of the course I just taught.

By the way this should result in a major revision of the Scott Specialized with up to three varieties of the cents denominations of the Series of 1917 and their overprints. Note that the Tobacco Sale Tax and Silver Tax are all from the underlying high etch plates, except the 25 denomination which to the best of my knowledge are overprinted on BEP (with dots) offset prints from lithographic plates.
Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 07/25/2021 6:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add locals4me to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revenuermd Thanks! I hope this clarification does get into the US Specialized. It is long overdue.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
736 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
locals4me - The challenge will be to determine which basic stamp list in each of the three types. I feel quite confident on the narcotic, silver tax, cigarette tube (RH1 exists in all three varieties), and tobacco sale tax. But future delivery and stock transfer we still have some important documenting to do. Also on the later perf varieties of the basic Series of 1917 documentary. Anyone interested in assisting please message me.
Ron Lesher
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 240Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05