Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Store Your Mounting Strips?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 564Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Cephus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just came back to collecting after nearly a decade away and I've got what might be a dumb question. All of our mounting strips were packed away in a plastic box and as we've started taking them out, the glue that held the packages together has started to fail and now, it's just a mess of loose strips. I just put in another good sized order for replacements and to fill in gaps and was wondering what others did? How do you keep them organized and easily accessible?

Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
281 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   5:31 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use 210 mm strips.

To house them, I use Kraft 6x9" envelopes (without the clasp).
On the front of the kraft envelope, I tape the info from the original package (size, etc.) and also write common usage for the strips.

You can then store the kraft envelopes by size in a cut in half box.

Makes it easy to find what you need quickly.

Just one idea...

John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7614 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it depends on the strips you use. I use Prinz mounts and they come in a plastic container. I use them out of these containers - no problem

Peter
Valued Member
United States
419 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I cut the top of the package open leaving the hole for the hook to hang from and hang the smaller sizes. For the larger sizes I cut the top off and they lay in a drawer. I do like the Kraft envelope's as mentioned above for the smaller and pre-cut pieces.

The front of the package is sliced down on a angle so I can stick partial cut pieces in the front.

I got tired of fishing through the drawer so I made a simple rack.

It works for me anyways...

Edited by jconey - 07/25/2021 6:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
419 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OH, and I forgot to say... Welcome back!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32884 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Country Town
we have a "curiosity shop", owner buys all sort of stuff from City Auctions ( a bit like storage wars)

I picked these up for $1 each IIRC , as a throw in with a Credenza.

Holds Strips, glassines stiffeners and what have you.

Pillar Of The Community
1015 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   01:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have rolling cart not too different from Rod's which is basically a stack of plastic drawers in a frame with wheels. One drawer is dedicated now to holding all my "extra" packages of mounts.

For mounts, I put one package of each size into a medium-sized plastic fisherman's "bait box," for lack of a better name. It's a shallow plastic box with a hinged lid that was designed for holding fishing lures, and so on. It has long divided sections plus some smaller loose dividers to block off smaller sections -- but I don't use any of those. I use the long sections to hold groups of packages of mounts organized from small to large. Even though the mount packages are lying down, if I don't overcrowd them ,I can easily flip through them to find the size I need. After awhile, you pretty much know where each mount size is. This box holds my mounts from 20mm to about 38mm, give or take, which are the bulk of mounts for most stamps. Be sure to measure the length of your mount packages so they'll fit inside -- and the width of the packages so the lid can "sort of" be closed. My lid doesn't quite close, but that's fine since it never needs to be closed. I found this online under "fishing lure box" or "fishing bait box," or some such name.

Medium-sized mounts (40 mm and above) for blocks and souvenir sheets, I store standing on end in a large pencil cup I had. I can flip through them easily. The cup holds about six or seven mount sizes. At first it was temporary, but it works so well I'm sticking with it. You could use any square or round box that's as wide as the mount packages. Standing them up allows me to see the mount sizes very easily. These are sizes I don't use much so theyr'e off to one side of my desk.

All the rest of my really large mounts (maybe 55mm to over 100mm) that I rarely use, I stand up in a wire file folder holder. It's a series wire loops on a base to hold file folders on your desk. It holds all the larger mount packages standing up just fine -- along with a few other stamp-related items.

In this same file folder holder, I also have groups of catalogue pages stapled together. I buy the pages on eBay so I don't have to rip up my current Scott catalogues. They're not very expensive, and I buy only a few countries a year as I need them. They make using a catalogue much easier and less awkward. When I'm working on a country, I just staple its catalogue pages together, add a blank cover, and label it with the country name. Each of these goes into the file folder holder standing on end with all the other country pages I have. That way I can use each booklet of pages without pulling a massive catalogue off the shelf. Larger mounts and country catalogues are together are in different sections of the file folder holder.

I mainly use Scott mounts ( Prinz mounts are the same since Scott buys their mounts from Prinz) which come in clear plastic packages which can easily be opened and closed. When I finish a package, I save the empty package to use for other mounts of a similar size that might be in a different packaging that's harder to use -- like Showgard. Just save the size label from the other mounts and put them all into the empty package. I find digging into other packaging a bit annoying -- even if I cut off the top of packages or slit the sides. Scott/Prinz packaging snaps open and closed pretty easily. You may not care, but it works best for me.
Edited by DrewM - 07/26/2021 01:45 am
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are all good ideas, thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5786 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   03:22 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never bothered with buying strips of a specific height. Various heights are usually available at the same price point. I buy the highest at that point and cut down as necessary. It means that, for most purposes, I can buy strips in a couple of heights, rather than a dozen.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cephus

I have a set of stackable plastic drawers from the office supply. They are a perfect fit for the mount strips (the drawers are similar to Rod's). I store the mount strips, cutting materials and blank pages in them.

If you go this route make sure thew drawer size is at least standard paper size.

Jerry B
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I store my mounting strips in the package they were delivered in. Prinz comes in plastic packaging and Mystic comes in paper card packaging. My odd sized strips get put in plastic bags.

For the strips that don't stick anymore, I use an Elmers glue stick which works pretty darn good. So don't throw your non-adhesive strips away, just buy a glue stick and you can attach them to your pages pretty easily.

JoanneG
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having a drawer or storage case full of a jumbled mess of mounts is annoying, especially if mounts have fallen out of their packaging, so this is a great topic.

If I still used split back mounts I would love jconey's method. Also, I have found it useful to visit my local craft shops (Jo-Ann's, Michaels, Craft Warehouse, Hobby Lobby) just to browse their storage cases and supplies, I often get a good idea from doing this. I don't have a favored brand of mounts but if I happen to buy Scott, like DrewM I keep the empty snap cases, they are really handy for holding loose mount remnants.

The best solution for me, and how I collect, is to do what GeoffHa does. I purchase a couple of strategic heights of a top load mount, or I'll purchase Showgard Seconds and divide them into two strips at the split to make a top load. Right now I have 63 mm, 41 mm and 28 mm high strips. I use a Fiskars paper trimmer to trim the height and width to fit just about any single, strip, or block I may have. Only having 2 3 sizes of mounts makes life simple, and I don't end up with a whole package of a mount size that I ended up needing for only a very few stamps.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
74 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwanghoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
commonly used pre-cut mounts are stored in the Scott/Prinz assortment packages with different sizes

commonly used 215mm strips stored in unknown original assortment package

other strips and pre-cuts are stored in Plano 23730-05 Prolatch storage boxes sorted by size

rarely use mounts >63mm as I've chosen to be lazy and use black cardstock with photo corners (for most cheap items).
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the biggest problem, other than the packaging falling apart and winding up with a mess of loose mounts, is that I have multiple packages of the most common sizes. Initially, I had everything in size-order rubber-banded together in the box, but the rubber bands all failed, leaving just a mess of packages at the bottom of the box. I'm thinking at the moment it's a better idea to open everything up and put it all into individual envelopes, organized by size so that I can pull out the individual envelope, use it and then have a place to put it back that won't fail over time.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
281 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   2:51 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cephus -

One side benefit from organizing by size (height in the case of strips/scraps) in envelopes is that you can tell immediately by the weight of the envelope which sizes are going to need to be reordered soon. I put them all in one envelope - scraps, pre-cut, and strips. One envelope per height of the strips and scraps, of course. It also makes it easy when you need to pre-cut standard sizes from strips. Grab the envelope, get out some strips, and cut with the machine.

Using envelopes also prevents cutting your fingers on sharp plastic edges of mount strips holders... I suppose you could still get a paper cut from paper envelopes but I haven't experienced that.

A 6x9 kraft envelope can safely hold 50-75 210mm strips.

I do like the more elegant solutions though...

John
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3117 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gwanghoops,

I had tried something like that for loose mounts and ended up putting a peelable label at the top of the pocket to identify the size.
Al
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 564Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05