Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

More Japanese Revenues And Cinderellas?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 402Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
12 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dandow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I am posting more images of unknown Japanese stamps/labels that I would appreciate learning more about. I believe several are inspection labels, but I am not sure of their use. Also, there is an Imperial Hotel label that I would appreciate knowing what it was used for.
Thank you for looking!
D Andow

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Japan
259 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   02:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello dandow, thanks for posting these cute & interesting labels.

A quick observation:

The third label from the bottom (with an illustration of a smoking gentleman) is a matchbox label, and the Imperial Hotel label might also be a matchbox label. Comparing the size of these two labels might confirm this.

More investigation to follow !

- Hironobu
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Japan
259 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello dandow, observations for the first 10 images.

Image 1, left: Shizuoka Lacquerware Trade Union inspection label
ditto, right: inspection label of J.F.E.C.T.M.A.; the last "M.A." should be Manufacturers Association

Image 2: inspection label of Fukushima prefecture silk thread office

Image 3: savings label, probably from WW2 period; the top inscription reads as "Emergency State Savings"

Image 4: unidentifiable label from Ministry of Telecommunications, usage to be investigated

Image 5: label of QSL bureau - something related to amateur radio Q-code, especially the "QSL" acknowledging receipt ?

Image 6:patent label of Sponge Slipper association

Image 7: unidentifiable inspection label; the red chop reads as "inspection passed"

Image 8; unidentifiable label; something related to thread, fabrics or wire fabrication ???

Image 9: seal label of unidentifiable company; the lower inscription could be read as "Tomi - ? Seal label"

Image 10: Kiryu Silk Fabric Export Industrial Union inspection label; Kiryu is a city located in Gunma prefecture, and is well known by its long history of silk textile manufacturing.

- Hironobu

Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hironobu,
Thank you for this great information! This helps me a lot.
D Andow
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the Shizuoka Lacquerware Trade Union inspection label, do you have an idea about why it has the character for "matsu" (pine tree) in the middle?

Regarding the savings label, probably from WW2 period, were these provided by a bank, the Japanese PO as a part of postal savings, or by some other institution? As far as I know, there were no such labels in the USA.
Valued Member
Japan
259 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello dandow,

Quote:
Regarding the Shizuoka Lacquerware Trade Union inspection label, do you have an idea about why it has the character for "matsu" (pine tree) in the middle?

I think this "Matsu" indicates that this product is the highest quality. We often use "Matsu" (pine), "Ta-Ke" (bamboo) and "Ume" (Japanese apricot/ plum) for grading, nowadays especially for Japanese food; Matsu is the top , followed by Ta-Kame and Ume. These three plants, combined and called as "Sho-Chiku-Bai", is a symbol for fortune and you can find this design in various occasions especially in ceremonial situations.

Quote:
Regarding the savings label, probably from WW2 period, were these provided by a bank, the Japanese PO as a part of postal savings, or by some other institution? As far as I know, there were no such labels in the USA

Although I have no further information of this label, I reckon that this was issued by private bank or institutions to encourage people to go for savings. During the wartime, Japanese government promoted savings as a national activity to support the budget for military and industrial activities. Japanese PO also got involved in this promotion through slogan cancels, which I shall post some examples later this weekend.

Hope this helps !

- Hironobu
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much! I forgot about the sho-chiku-bai classification of quality. I am looking forward to seeing your savings labels.
Best,
D Andow
Valued Member
Japan
259 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello dandow, observations for the remaining labels;

Image 11: seems to be a product label of kidney disease medicine "Sachi Aa-Ru" by Japanese Brewery Industrial Co. Ltd.

Image 12: seems to be a company label of "Tai-Shou-Dow", a clock / diamond / jewelry company located in Ginza, Tokyo. (This company still do exist!)

Image 13: seems to be a company Label of North Japan Paper Manufacturer Co. Ltd.

Image 14: Control label for match. This should be listed in Shimomura, which I will have a look later this weekend.

Image 15; inspection certificate label of Kanagawa prefecture. Not certain for which product this label has been used.

Image 16: label of Inoue-Kanzo company, Kobe, a well known shop of matchbox labels and stamps in the early days of Japanese philately. The label itself is printed by "Kobe match production company" and thus I reckon this is a matchbox label.

Image 17: Inspection certificate label of Toyama prefecture. I reckon this label was used for export textile, one of the major industries of Toyama prefecture.

Image 18: Obviously a label of Imperial Hotel, Tokyo. Judging from the size (aspect ratio) I reckon this to be a matchbox label. Neat design indeed.

- Hironobu
Valued Member
Japan
259 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dandow and all, apologies for going really off-topic;

The Sho-Chiku-Bai classification is most often found today for Una-Jyu (grilled eel on rice… yummy);

And an example of the menu I've picked for the Web, showing Superb Matsu > Matsu > Take > Ume, which I believe is the standard order and applied to the Shizuoka label.

However besome people do use opposite way, e.g. Superb Ume > Ume > Take > Matsu !

So be aware of the two styles if you're planning to enjoy eel in Japan :-)

- Hironobu
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much again for this information! My limited knowledge of Japanese makes it very difficult for me to figure out the labels. Your most recent answers raise a couple of questions

On Image 11: seems to be a product label of kidney disease medicine "Sachi Aa-Ru" by Japanese Brewery Industrial Co. Ltd. How is it that the Japanese Brewery Industrial Co. would have kidney disease medicine?

On Image 12: seems to be a company label of "Tai-Shou-Dow", a clock / diamond / jewelry company located in Ginza, Tokyo. (This company still do exist! ). Any idea why they use a chicken/rooster as the logo of the company?

Thanks again!
Valued Member
Japan
259 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello dandow, here's my thoughts after some detective works;

Quote:
On Image 11: seems to be a product label of kidney disease medicine "Sachi Aa-Ru" by Japanese Brewery Industrial Co. Ltd. How is it that the Japanese Brewery Industrial Co. would have kidney disease medicine?

I think it has to do something with enzyme. A quick search on Web shows that certain enzymes are indeed found to be effective to kidney disease; although I don't think that such scientific evidence was available at that time there might be some experience-based knowledge that certain brewery products aided the disease. Hope someone with M.D. might help (I have a Ph.D. but medicine is totally out of my knowledge...)

Quote:
On Image 12: seems to be a company label of "Tai-Shou-Dow", a clock / diamond / jewelry company located in Ginza, Tokyo. (This company still do exist! ). Any idea why they use a chicken/rooster as the logo of the company?

One possibility might be coming from a Chinese proverb, "Be the head of a chicken but not the tail of a cow" (in Japanese, "Kei-Kou Gyuu-Go"). This proverb means that you should better be the leader, even if the organization (or a company) is small, than to be a part of a larger organization, and thus the symbol of a rooster is often used in company logos, such as Kincho Co.Ltd, a insecticide products manufacturer well known by its mosquito coils.

https://www.kincho.co.jp/en/

- Hironobu
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 402Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05