Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has Anyone Read "Lost Countries: Exotic Tales From An Old Stamp Album"?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 876Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add CoffeeRules to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just finished reading "Postal Propaganda of the Third Reich". This book was an easy and informative read, I finished it in just a few days. Amazing history of the Nazis and the postal service. I highly recommend this book to anyone that wants to learn more about the German postal system during WW II.

Anyway, Im looking for another book to read and came across "Lost Countries: Tales from an Old Stamp Album".
Has anyone read it and would you recommend reading it? Maybe a quick review would be helpful.

How about another book you could recommend?

JoanneG
Send note to Staff
Edited by CoffeeRules - 07/26/2021 12:49 pm

Valued Member
United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two books about stamps that I find enjoyable and useful are Mackay,J. The Guinness book of Stamp facts and feats, ISBN 0-85112-241-8. and Hornung, O. illustrated encyclopedia of stamp collecting. ISBN 0-600-01797-4. Neither book is in print and they are a little bit out of date but they are enjoyable to browse and pick through and also a useful source of information. The latter book has the best explanation I have found of different perforation types how they are made and how to recognize them. I mainly collect British stamps but I value both these books.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have not heard of Lost Countries, but two that I can recommend highly are: The Wild Side; Philatelic Mischief, Murder and Intrigue by Stephen R Datz (he's written several of these non-technical books about the stamp trade) and The Error World by Simon Garfield. Both are very enjoyable reads.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2453 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lost Countries is unknown to me also. Sounds interesting.

There is Fabulous Stamps by John Nicklin, a small hardbound book from the 1930s, reprinted a couple of times. It tells the stories of historic finds of philately's rare stamps. It probably launched thousands of trips to attics and basements with every printing. It's common enough and I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a used one in decent shape, but your mileage may vary if you want book collector quality.

There is also Letters of Gold by Jesse Coburn (1984), a large format 389 page hardbound book. It's the historical account (more than being a pure reference) of California mails including express mails and the connections to the East, generally covering the 1850s to the 1860s. It's extensively illustrated, loaded with cover images. A decent used copy should run $25-30 plus shipping.

Edited by hy-brasil - 07/27/2021 06:02 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
273 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   06:25 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have not heard of Lost Countries, but two that I can recommend highly are: The Wild Side; Philatelic Mischief, Murder and Intrigue by Stephen R Datz (he's written several of these non-technical books about the stamp trade)

Big fan of Datz also here...

Besides The Wild Side

I highly recommend

On the Road

Also, along the same lines, Pat Herst's Nassau Street
is a classic that I never get tired of reading.

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 07/27/2021 06:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
922 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lost Countries is a nice little read, enjoyed it.
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for posting some intriguing books to read. I've found each one on Amazon and saved them to my wish list. Im not sure which to read first but I think it is going to be Lost Countries. The Wild Side sounds good too.

JoanneG
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered "The Wild Side" and "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Stamp Collecting" from Amazon. I'm going to order the other ones when I finish these two. Im looking forward to reading them.

JoanneG
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got "The Wild Side" today in the mail and started to read it. Very entertaining I must say.
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paper Ambassadors (Dennis Altman)is another worth reading. The author is a social scientist so brings an academic perspective to the book.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
273 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   2:32 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread inspired me to look for my Datz books (and Nassau Street by Pat Herst) and alas, I misplaced all three! I must have given them away, or they didn't make the final return move from overseas about 13 years ago.

Prices to replace on Amazon were too steep for this frugal philatelist. I was able to find The Wild Side and On The Road (Datz) used on eBay for <$10 each delivered - used, of course. Nassau Street was another matter entirely. This book has many different printings (was it 8 all together?!) and it is about $40 on Amazon, and pretty steep on eBay, too. I'm still looking for that replacement...

Missing Nassau Street hurts the most, because I've read it so many times!

I need to keep these favorite books together in a secure location!

John
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 08/04/2021   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like Nassau Street would be a good read.

Im about half way through The Wild Side and I have found it enjoyable to read. Its a collection of short stories with stamps as the focal point. I recommend this book if you are looking for something entertaining.

I just got The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Stamp Collecting. I flipped through it and there seems to be allot of historical information along with some how to sections.When Im finished with The Wild Side I will be reading it next.

JoanneG

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3099 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
abebooks has multiple copies of Nassau Street.
Al
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
273 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   10:03 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, angore. I'm looking for a later printing...
Definitely a place to bookmark, though.

John
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finished reading The Wild Side today. I enjoyed it immensely.

If anyone wants to read it, just shoot me an email.

JoanneG
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
273 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   5:41 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joanne -

Care to share your favorite Chapter from The Wild Side?
Mine is "Fast Eddie."

Datz is an excellent writer, with well-crafted scenarios. I can "see" what he is writing about, as it unfolds...

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 08/05/2021 5:46 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 876Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05