I'd been lamenting over binder tabs that would look good and had meaningful labels as apposed to index numbers or letters. So, I just spent the morning creating a test run of custom binder tabs for my albums. I like how they are turning out.
I created a file in MS Excel (as seen below). I used the same card stock that the album pages are printed on and same font as the used on the pages. As a matter of fact I used the back side of misprints from my albums. "waste-not, want-not"!
After printing the tabs I cut them into strips using the guide lines and carefully applied clear packing tape (this took a few practice tries!).
I then cut them apart, bent them and cut the corner angles off each.
I applied them to the page with glue stick as a test but double sided tape or I suppose book binding glue would work as well. I applied the glue all the way up to the crease for a good seal.
The packing tape is the tricky part, getting it on and without bubbles or a wrinkle takes a couple dry runs. I printed an extra sheet on regular paper to try it first.
This way I can also add years, events or other notable divisions in my binders while giving it a "finished look", in my opinion anyways.