Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gross Singles Auction Nowhere To Be Seen

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 523Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1183 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   4:40 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Siegel has announced a number of upcoming auctions through late this year, but there is no sign of the much anticipated singles auction or anything else that may still be out there from Bill Gross.

Does anyone have and insight into when or if that is ever happening?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7543 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That will be a cold weather sale; traditionally sales do much better then in hot summer weather. In non COVID years people are on vacation and traveling, so the big auctions are usually related to shows. I would think that a major name sale like that one will probably not be before October.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Drop Scott or Andrew an email or better yet someone can ask at Westpex.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
123 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been told by semi-reliable sources that the Gross singles sale isn't happening in the near future as Mr Gross has decided to retain his collection. Drat. Dang. and Shoot. I "need" 2 of his singles.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The date of the sale has not yet been set and is dependent on market conditions over the next two years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richar...25bb03e374f3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7543 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The market has been going like gangbusters for the last 18 months; a sellers market for sure. I can't imagine much better "market conditions".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neither can I. On the other hand the market as defined by the Gross singles sale is apparently limited to just a few buyers that will likely purchase the largest share (read dollars) of the offerings.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7543 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those people are always ready to buy top material since money is never an issue for them. So I suppose they are really discussing the other potential buyers who might have enough to only bid on one or two specialty items.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps there are other factors in play here. Tax write-offs, political changes, charitable concerns since the money is going there. Who knows really. I just am dying to see the catalog.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1183 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   10:11 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have been told by semi-reliable sources that the Gross singles sale isn't happening in the near future

This is the response I was worried about. Maybe he collect enough from previous sales and decided it was enough. Of course "semi-reliable" holds out some chance, butů
Edited by rlsny - 07/28/2021 10:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is the response I was worried about.

See link to 2021 April Updated Forbes article posted previously:

https://www.stampcommunity.org/go/link.asp?target=https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardlehmann/2021/04/29/the-bill-gross-usa-collection-auctionan-update/?sh=25bb03e374f3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1183 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   11:56 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw it. But, "dependent on market conditions" sounds like a corporate something Siegel may have said some months ago. Which of these two rumors do I believe? Neither. Still - fingers crossed we get to see those Z grills someday.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be happy with the auction catalog and forgoing the actual auction. It's not like I can afford the stuff I want to see.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
627 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   09:26 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got this email today:

BREAKING NEWS:

*Curated Catalogue Auction Sales Coming to NobleSpirit

Our first NobleSpirit curated catalogue auction sale on eBay is due to be announced soon.

An exclusive eBay auction feature, these catalogue events will provide buyers and consignment sellers with a first of its kind traditional auction experience, featuring 6 week lead times for specialized and high value sale events.

To learn more call our office and look for official press and marketing announcements in the next few days. Consignment deadlines for further entries will be closing soon.

The Doctor Sarath Reddy collection of superlative gem quality Great Britain and British Commonwealth will comprise our first named sale. Many items of renowned provenance including ex-Bill Gross.

Followed closely by the Colorado estate of resplendent First Day Covers

Followed closely still by German States and Colonies Specialized Rarities

So NobleSpirit getting into the traditional auction business? Throught eBay?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Major issue with the NS announcement. Will there be traditional Terms & Conditions for the "traditional" auction sales or will NS have to abide by eBay rules. A lot to digest there including extensions, mandatory sales tax where applicable, terms of payment, viewing, TRANSPARENCY ETC..
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 523Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05