Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fb11 First Bill Stamp - Unusual Cancel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 325Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
7656 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a few of these FB11 Bill Stamps, and most if not all were cancelled with "Marker Monkey" cancels.

This cancel is from London Ontario, May.16.1865.
BUT what is the "B.B.N.A" [or "N" on last letter.]
It was printed by Canadian Bank Note Company 1864

I lightened up the colour to see the cancel.
Any help appreciated.

Robert

Send note to Staff
Edited by wert - 07/27/2021 6:25 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
927 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably the mark of the Bank of British North America (BBNA), founded in 1836, merged with Bank of Montreal in 1918.

Unclear whether that mark actually refers to London Ontario (where they did not have an office from what I can find), or rather refers to the fact that they were chartered in London, England.

~Greg
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7656 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Greg
Kinda looks like half an "O" for Ontario..?
Robert

Pillar Of The Community
563 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
927 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the previous thread with a clearer strike, that would be "LONDON CW" for Canada West, which was in use in 1865.
Pillar Of The Community
7656 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry guys...Old age kidding in.

Robert
Edited by wert - 07/28/2021 09:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
563 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Judging from the stamp here:

https://www.ericjackson.com/rDetail...6195&this=it

and this BNAPS article:

https://bnaps.org/hhl/newsletters/r...-11-w024.pdf

It seems like some cancels bore the name of the cancellor. I wonder if this was just the bank doing the same thing for their revenue cancellations?
Valued Member
Canada
176 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert - there is no issue with rehashing old posts. 5 years is skads of time. Besides, the content has been pretty slow in the forum for the past while! Chris
Pillar Of The Community
7656 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for kind words Chris
Ya..slower than normal..Guess everyone is on vacation or enjoying the weather.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
563 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to clarify, my link was not a jab at Robert; the other post just had info already in it which was relevant to the discussion.
Pillar Of The Community
7656 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stamps101..Understood
I respect you...Glad you found it.
Stay safe my friend.

Robert
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 325Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05