Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

India Hyderabad 1934 Char Minar Fiscal With Sarkari Overprint - Help To ID

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 567Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add WillUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All! I purchased a large collection from the 30s and it had an interesting Hyderabad stamp. My research shows it has similarity to the MI: In-HY D36in brown. Mine looks olive grey to black not brown and is unlised. I also has a very interesting stamp on it in addition to the overprint. I has what looks like two dots and below dot 1 is an "h" or perhaps an "R' and below dot 2 is a "s". I have seen a S Gibbons sale list a pair that looked similar at £1200 but I have not seen the black or olive brown print variety listed. Questions: I am not an expert as I dont collect India stamps 1. Can someone help identify the stamp and variety. 2. Can anyone help with the R S additional overprint?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7603 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell - the picture looks like it is somewhat out of focus. But are you sure it is an overprint and not a cancellation?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
694 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to this Forum, WillUK. There are several Indian experts here. I'm certain you'll get good information soon enough. (Sharper scan would help, though.)
Pillar Of The Community
India
534 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There were several printings of the base stamp Haydarabad 1931 1A SG 43, which resulted array of shades which unfortunately catalogs don't care to list.

Clearer image would help but the so-called RS overprint is part of the postmark. The orientation of the cds would be right if the stamp is rotated 90° to the left. R is Arabi letter kaf which is part of the post office name and S appears to be lam.
Edited by Joy Daschaudhuri - 07/29/2021 2:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3156 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a scarce shade.I have a hundred of the these in the brown shades from very light to dark red-brown,but nothing in the olive black ....
Valued Member
United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a normal cancelled stamp to me. The colour is very variable in this stamp.

What was the Stanley Gibbons stamp that was £1200? Do you have a link?
Pillar Of The Community
India
534 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the most expensive variant–Haydarabad 1934 1A SG O48a vertical imperf. pair.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Great answers and I appreciate it. I will try for a better picture but I had trouble with the size restriction. I have spent a lot of time in India for work and was delighted to find some interesting India related stamps in this collection. I have been a serious coin collector for most of my life focussing on Tudor and onward hammered coins and then on the overstrike 960 reis and Caribbean bits and overstamps. I really gave up because there were just too many fakes. I am a co author on a book on the 960 Reis coins. Anyway, I had some old stamps with German hyperinflation so this led to some more interest in some stamps. Not sure where I will go with this but for now have some German including DDR, Early Canada such as Newfoundland.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Joy - I tried to send you a thank you on the R S information. In the more detailed scan you can see the round edge of the cancellation at the bottom of the stamp so what you are saying makes sense. Does this mean you can Id the cancellation. Anyway, thanks so much for your help. Mine does look exactly like expensive one you pictured. How can I tell the difference? Thanks again and I appreciate the help with this interesting stamp.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   04:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Again - I found another page of Hyderabad stamps with another example of this stamp. It is the brown version and I thought it would be interesting to put them side by side so that you can see the difference. Hopefully it will come through on the picture.
Learn More...
9656 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   04:57 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Comparing images from different sources is virtually useless. For example, here is the same postal form, scanned on the same scanner, with the same software but one image is with the scanner lid left open and the other is the scanner lid closed.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
India
534 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@WillUK

Quote:

Hi Joy - I tried to send you a thank you on the R S information. In the more detailed scan you can see the round edge of the cancellation at the bottom of the stamp so what you are saying makes sense. Does this mean you can Id the cancellation.

The cancel is Nayim type XVI Railway Mail Service datestamp of Transit Section 12 RMS (In) (Haydarabad–Nizamabad) used by the Set 2 Sorters.

The first two lines show the following.

1st Line: In
2nd Line: Section 12 Set 2

The Section No. is definitely a 2 digit number but the second digit is not clear. It could be either 2 or 3 but since postmarks of Section 12 are much more common, I am quite certain that the Section No. is 12.

Section 12 RMS (In) (Haydarabad–Nizamabad) of Haydarabad State Post functioned parallelly with the Br. Indian Section M18 RMS (Out) (Vijayawada–Ballarpur).

Here In means rail trip, away from RMS Division HQ Haydarabad.

Transit Sections of RMS carried only the closed mail bags to the Stationary Offices.

The 3rd line is the date but I cannot decipher any date or year digit. The leftmost character is the Arabi letter fa denoting Faasli Calendar.
Pillar Of The Community
India
534 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@WillUK

Quote:

Mine does look exactly like expensive one you pictured. How can I tell the difference?

The pair shown is expensive because of the absence of horizontal perforation in between the vertical pair. It has nothing to do with the color shade.

The lower values of Haydarabad 1931 Pictorial Series are notorious for huge range of color shades. There were several printings of the same stamp and two different batches produced different shades.
May be we need an IFS catalog in the line of ACSC.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear 51 Studebaker -- the comparison picture is from the same source. I laid the stamps beside each other and took one photo so the comparison should adequately reflect the difference in colour and shade. I appreciate the detailed information from everyone.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How collectors here like to judge shades by seeing it both on one scan ,it gives a better idea of what is the real color as Don said .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2454 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In WillUK's 2-stamp image post, the stamp designs are clearly different sizes. The underlying original design is engraved. There is something more here other than just a shade difference.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 567Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05