Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

India Hyderabad 1934 Char Minar Fiscal With Sarkari Overprint - Help To ID

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 552Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3155 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pic was taken at an angle. The top horiz. frames increase in width going down.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2448 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I stand corrected. It's lens distortion that's causing my confusion since the top horiz frames do not change in linear fashion.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yes I used my iphone which may have made the sizing look different BUT I took the picture of the stamps one on top of the other at the same time using the same lighting so the difference is not caused by scanner distortion etc.

If you look at the colour of the imperforate pair it is much more like my greenish stamp. I don't want to overshare on this topic but if someone wants me to scan these on a scanner I can do so.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi I could not resist doing a full scan on my personal scanner and hopefully this will be clearer for everyone.
Learn More...
9622 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   08:26 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scan is much better. Scans are far superior to photos, it provides uniform lighting and no angular distortions.

But ultimately we are judging image colors (not the stamp colors) based upon our own monitors and computer configurations. (If you have ever seen a wall of TVs or monitors all displaying the same picture you can see how much colors can vary from display to display; often even with the same make and model!)

Having an image with both stamps shown (as you provided) has a small amount of relative value. Please also note that these are used stamps which by definition have seen significant environmental conditions. Note how the paper color is different, this is largely due to the aging over time combined with the environmental conditions.

Accurately judging stamp colors takes a good reference collection of like stamps, a good color eye, and a standardized ambient lighting source.

If you feel you have a color rarity, this thread is not going to help you. You will have to spend the money and have a certification organization examine the stamp.
Don
Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not really focussed on rarity or money just found it interesting. Both of these stamps came from the same old album as I noted which has nothing newer than the late 30s so should have had a similar "life". Of course no one will turn down a rare find but that was not what was driving my comments. Once again, thanks to all who helped with this and it is appreciated.
Pillar Of The Community
India
534 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's finish this rare stamp story with the delectable street food of Haydarabadi Cuisine at Charminar, Haydarabad.

DiBejtFo_vU"
youtube]
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice way to end an interesting conversation. Thank you Ms Daschaudhuri. My spouse and I both enjoyed it.
M
Pillar Of The Community
United States
616 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dang, now I want recipes... :)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 08/07/2021   06:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will definitely have to go out for a curry!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 552Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05