Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Strong Results Schuyler Rumsey Westpex Auction Today

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,288Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I sat through most of today's auction and was struck by both the prices realized and the virtually zero pass rate. My observation applies to all of the WW lots, which were very diverse. Strong bidding for Mexico to Tibet and all of the European and Latin American countries as well as Asia. Postal history and stamps alike did very well. The material was very strong IMO with a great many rarely seen high condition items which no doubt helped but you still need bidders and they were indeed out on the Floor and the internet. The market remains strong.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5465 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that update .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
676 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   10:56 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I spent a lot of time watching postal history lots the 1st day and a bit the second. So far I remain empty handed, but many of the bulk lots come at the end. I agree bidding is active.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Watching the United States stamp lots today was a bit of a different experience than the WW yesterday. The prices realized, except for some highly graded or highly gradable stamps were much softer. People seemed very much to be laser focused on condition and centering and willing to pay up for standout material. Stamps that fell short for whatever reason did not fare all that well. Read what one will into it, WW stamps were very strong in comparison to US. Still though, the pass rate was virtually nonexistent.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   01:37 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The auctioneer was pretty punch-drunk from exhaustion near the end, denigrating some of the M&M and RW stamps and occasionally uttering sh*t under his breath (yet clearly audible) when ever there was a snarl up in book-keeping.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5247 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   8:34 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did something happen with Rumsey at SAN today? I just got home from a daylong event and figured I would sit in on the tail end of the session, but when I pull up SAN, it looks like they only got through lot 4477 of sale 98. What happened to the rest of the lots, let alone session 3 of the Westpex sale? It doesn't appear to have taken place and the online session is dead.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev - They took a break without posting it. Running again. They are doing the Transportation Sale lots and will then start back into the regular auction. Confusing to say the least.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5247 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   9:01 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rog, yeah it popped up out of nowhere. They're running so far behind schedule I wondered whether something catastrophic had happened.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are sooooo slow.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6265 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I watched it from work and bid on a few lots but they soared past my top bid quickly. I was really only interested in the 1851 1 Franklin's and the ones I was interested in fetched good money. One of those sales I was kid of scared of. Could easily see my self spending multiple thousands on quite a few of the postal history items.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5465 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today should be a interesting day for some including me . Watching how the Foreign collections will do and also the bulk lots.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United Kingdom
119 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usinbritain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Westpex and the auction are very busy! Unfortunately, there was a fire alarm at the show hotel and we had to evacuate the show & auction around 5pm PST Saturday. Took the local FD about half an hour to give us the all clear.
Steve
USA postal history 1750s - 1950s
Surbiton, England
https://www.stephentaylor.co.uk
Your American dealer in Britain since 1995
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately, there was a fire alarm at the show hotel and we had to evacuate the show & auction around 5pm PST Saturday. Took the local FD about half an hour to give us the all clear.

Ah, that explains it. There was no message on the SAN auction board so I was left guessing when I tuned in as to if and bidding would continue.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The real issue was that 300-350 lots per hour flow is generally expected by Rumsey, HOWEVER with the Transportation Auction, due to the active bidding, the rate slowed to just 30 lots per hour for a while. That killed the the planned flow of the sale. Yes there was a fire alarm (made a new philatelic friend while outside) but that may have hit the dealers but had little effect on the auction timing. Contrary to a comment above, the show was described as "slow" to me.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never seen any live auction plow through 300-350 lots per hour. Ever. Anyone else?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5247 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   3:56 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never. That would be 1 lot every 10-15 seconds.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,288Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05