Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Strong Results Schuyler Rumsey Westpex Auction Today

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,372Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
678 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   4:50 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nobody in the stamp world goes at 300 lots an hour unless most of the lots are getting passed, and probably not even then.

They did seem to be moving at a pretty decent clip today. Happy to say I scored a few bulk lots, though I think 2 of the 5 were things I hadn't planned bidding on but made some opportunistic calculations.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw that earlier, and I thought that would be quick, but then again it's west coast. Just kidding, I think the author miswrote.
M
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   5:27 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well the revenue collection lots were a complete bloodbath. I got shut out. Nothing went below high estimate and many lots went for several multiples of high estimate.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revenue collector ouch! And ouch again!
I only collect US single issues, and after reviewing realized prices at Rumsey I am unimpressed. About what I would expect but the "tip" at 15% less than most. Almost wished I regesterred.
Having said that Cherrystone and then Golden oak , although not a major auction coming up this week or so. There are many, many options to spend away money.What causes me to chase this elusive goal?
Regards m
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6833 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All of the foreign collections seem to be blowing past estimate. I have my eye on two but an not optimistic. Never know though.

I did watch the revenue lots, in particular the M&M lots, and was amazed at the bidding. One M&M lot went for 6-7 times estimate. Sorry Dan.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   6:26 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was only one lot that I really wanted; the rest were slated to be potential consolation prizes. None of the above. It's not a huge deal. The only bummer was wasting an afternoon.

Oh well, those funds go into the Chicagopex budget.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1563 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   7:09 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Remarkably I got the 1st 3 items I bid on, spent my limit for the day and stopped watching. Bidding was pretty fierce for some of the WW material, luckily not mine. Next event Kelleher!!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6833 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am really hoping that they work through the 98 Liberia lots quickly because I want to bid on my lots before Midnight.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1517 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is Liberia the new Mongolia?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7563 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forty or fifty years ago 150-200 per hour was not uncommon, and occasionally an auction might go a bit faster. There probably were at least a few back in the day that approached 300 for some period of time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   7:51 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They also weren't trying to coordinate/reconcile simultaneous bids coming from the floor, multiple phone lines and one or more Internet platforms. When it's just a floor auction you can get the momentum going and zip through things.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6833 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is Liberia the new Mongolia?

We are going to find out.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7563 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly true, the net has slowed down auctions a great deal. In those days it was only floor and phone, although there would be a LOT of floor bidders.
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   8:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I built an online auction tool and have been hosting quite a few (around 50) club auctions over the last year. They are on-line only, typically have 10-20 people participating in them, usually contain 50-200 lots. In other words, these auctions move quickly except in one case where the auctioneer likes to frequently ad-lib. Most of them wrap up in 1-2 hours. Since they are so simple and easy (and free), some of the clubs are holding them every other week.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1563 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   8:40 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For years Dutch Country did 200/hr consistently. I asked them why they didn't use SAN live auctions and they said it would slow them down too much. Covid forced them to go to live auctions and now they do about 60/hr.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,372Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05