Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Magenta Arrives At Stanley Gibbons

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 876Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   10:24 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
kqJ6v9aSAnU
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7613 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "Magenta". Is that a new word for this stamp? Sort of a lousy title if you ever care to search for it again!

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   1:45 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since that's the title of the video and what SG calls it (admittedly sans the '1c'), it seemed to me to be a reasonable title to pass on. However, please accept my most humble apologies for the egregious error I clearly made in the title while trying to share something to the MB.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
281 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   1:50 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
[lame humor]
This one is for bottom feeders now, since the Mauritius Ball cover recently got almost $12,000,000.
[/lame humor]

John

p.s. Thanks for posting the video!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5786 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   1:56 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting. No-one in the stamp collecting world would be in any doubt about what "the Magenta" referred to.
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apology neither requested nor required.
Thanks for posting the video.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5247 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   3:29 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just saw Gibbons' ad in the newest American Philatelist about their selling "shares" in this stamp, the latest hairbrained get-rich scheme of theirs.

"I'll take a tiny piece at the upper right corner. Please cut it carefully."

Gibbons can eff ALL the way off. Shysters.
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/30/2021 3:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
551 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may buy a tiny bit of the lower left corner with some play money and include it in my kids' inheritance, just to get an inside view of how this peculiar scheme will play out.
Valued Member
72 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm curious if they declared it at customs and had to pay import duty? Or maybe it was exempt since it is from British Empire?
Learn More...
9685 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   5:29 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Just saw Gibbons' ad in the newest American Philatelist about their selling "shares" in this stamp, the latest hairbrained get-rich scheme of theirs...

SG should produce a limited amount of high quality 'gold clad' reproductions accompanied by a signed and numbered certificate of authenticity.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
706 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   03:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Questions a Co Owner might ask him or herself:

1) Do you I have visiting rights?

2) Can I take it out for a walk?

3) Can I get a monthly fotograph of it, in a touristic setting?

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to their website set up for information SG has stated that fractional owners will have special visiting rights. Fractional ownership appears to me to be set up as a investment rather than forever ownership. I.e. SG has stated they will vett all offers and ownership will vote according to their shares on acceptance. Ownership will share in any profits generated by sale according to shares owned. Shares themselves will be transferable, etc. I would think SG can monetize the Magenta to the extent of profitable return, but we will see.

SG is taking a turn at making an investment out of a hobby it appears.In my opinion.
M
Additional thought, if SG adverises in the WSJ or the Financial Times they will fully monetize this issue. We shall see.
Edited by GMC89 - 07/31/2021 08:18 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
798 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   08:24 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a similar precedent for this type of investment? Such as a Van Gogh painting? Volatility, but potential for significant profit.

If the "Magenta" goes on tour, and brings in income, might there be dividends?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6652 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having just read SG last published company report I am left scratching my head as to why and how they purchased the "Magenta".

https://www.stanleygibbonsplc.com/w...-Gibbons.pdf
Valued Member
United Kingdom
56 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikyh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From their website:

Stanley Gibbons' purchase will be financed through an interest-free loan from Phoenix S.G. Ltd, the firm's majority shareholder.

Details of the Loan Facility

The material elements of the new loan facility between Stanley Gibbons Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Group, and our majority shareholder are:

-Interest free with 50% of any profit made on the sale of the item due to PSG.

-Secured solely against the item with no further recourse to any group companies.

-An initial 5-year term, which can be extended by agreement between the parties.

-If the item is unsold at maturity, the loan can be settled through return of the item to PSG.

-If the item is sold for less than the outstanding value of the loan, the net proceeds of the sale will be deemed to be sufficient consideration to satisfy the loan obligation in full.

-Sale of the item requires PSG approval.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
544 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This smells dirty. So they want to sell shares of something for joint ownership but retain a 50% profit for themselves. Who is setting the price per share and guaranteeing not more than half of it is put on the float? Profit and ownership need to be parsed. I can't see how an individual could make any money here.

Best idea: Shareholders should vote and donate it to the crown collection and value it 3X and be done with it and take a deduction.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 876Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05