Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Early Newfoundland Stamp Identification

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 939Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1114 Posts
Posted 08/04/2021   06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I took images of genuine examples from spink and lined them up with the photos provided
looking for any minor changes or shifts
my opinion Little to no change in examples 1,2 and 4
(#4 there's a difference in the E in pence) only thing I took notice too
Photo #3 the P is too small making room for the additional "dot"
the objects in the centre are poorly sized and the leaf(top left) is pointed the wrong way to name a few things wrong with it

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Just_fella - 08/04/2021 07:57 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 08/04/2021   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there. Here is another I did not picture.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 08/04/2021   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@just fella Thanks for your comparisons. We seem to have agreement on Stamp 3. It has 7 dots left bottom instead of 6 if genuine plus the issues you noted. I would want an expert opinion on the other 6d "suspect" as I am not sure. In any event, given the grouping had 1 fake and 1 that needs expert advice and one with a tear I was able to negotiate a discount with the seller. I will find out the best place to get these checked. Thanks again
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1114 Posts
Posted 08/04/2021   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep us posted :)
Looking at the 1 penny compared to another from
https://stampauctionnetwork.com/f/f1196.cfm

Seems pretty good to me anyway, I see nothing that stands out as different yet..
(Perhaps someone will add details that sway opinion )

fully agree an expert having it in front of them would be the best way to go.

Edited by Just_fella - 08/04/2021 11:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
7691 Posts
Posted 08/04/2021   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WillUK...Nice stamp you have there..
Robert

BTW..here are 3 of my genuine 6pence for you to look at.

Edited by wert - 08/04/2021 12:19 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   05:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@wert Nice ones. I have not fixed on a theme yet and I know from my coin days that I don't want to fixate. Early Canadian Provinces may be fun or another interesting run may be QV young heads from all jurisdictions - from what I can see that would be a long chase as there are some odd ones out there. I do like the Newfoundland series but it is frustrating that there are so many fakes out there - that was the reason I left coin collecting. Thanks for your contributions
Pillar Of The Community
7691 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WillUK
Newfoundland is one of my favorite collectable stamps.
BUT, beware, if you start getting into detailed collecting of NFLD stamps, you will go down the rabbit hole...Beware...haha

Here is an example what you can expect..
Some stamps can only be identified by measurement...Below is just for one stamp on the right side and one stamp on the left shows 7 difference perforation differences..{ some have more }

If you do..enjoy.
Robert

Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi There are a few of these for sale just now and I have spoken for one. Any thoughts on genuineness. Guaranteed to be and it looks broadly OK but there may be some real tells on the 4P I am not aware of...
Pillar Of The Community
3542 Posts
Posted 08/21/2021   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Pence Issues of Newfoundland 1857-1866 by Robert H. Pratt
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 939Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05