Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Russian Gold Standard 1924

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 320Next Topic  
Valued Member

7 Posts
Posted 08/04/2021   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Marine Electric to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have no knowledge and see prices online for these stamps ranging from a few bucks to thousands.

What are they worth? What should I reasonably expect to sell them for?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First, these are Soviet (USSR), not Russian (which would mean either pre-revolution or modern era). While we all use country names casually, with philately it's best to be as precise as possible given the number of issuing entities and political overlap.

As for the stamps specifically, the set can have a catalog value of around $2000, but only when they are MNG (mint never hinged). While these appear to be mint/unused, they are likely attached to the album page with hinges, which lowers their value considerably. In their condition, I'd guess catalog value is about $450, so you could realistically expect anywhere from $100-$350 for them all depending on the buyer.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Marine Electric to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much classic paper, I really appreciate you sharing your expertise.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5786 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   2:24 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Depends where you are. Few people in the UK - including stamp collectors - would refer to Russia at any period as anything other than Russia. Similarly, collectors would never have referred to Formosa/Taiwan as "China".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6658 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pricing info given by CP is not correct. Check the perforations and you will find that your stamps are the cheapest varieties. They appear to be perf 12 when that is the lowest catalog price and perf 14.5 x 15 when that is the lowest catalog price. Many people are tripped up by these. Look at Scott numbers 276a-290a in addition to 276-291.

Also check for watermark 170 which make the stamps in full or in part Scott 304-323. Also perf 12.
Edited by rogdcam - 08/05/2021 2:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So my estimate was way too optimistic? I'm not troubled by overestimating, it makes giving bad news easy to do.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1181 Posts
Posted 08/07/2021   02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Few people in the UK - including stamp collectors - would refer to Russia at any period as anything other than Russia.

And unless they've changed their practice recently without my noticing, Scott has always listed Soviet issues under "Russia".
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
Posted 08/07/2021   03:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps of the Confederate States of America are found under "USA" in Scott, but that's not really accurate, is it? Scott made an editorial choice, like your example. It doesn't change that the stamps were issued by the USSR, not Russia. Millions of people inaccurately call the USA, "America," but that might cause a few quizzical looks at a BNAPS meeting. Fortunately, not every catalog panders to the lazy convenience of the English-speaking world. Michel at least rightfully acknowledges "Russia and [the] Soviet Union," given that they're different political and stamp-issuing entities. Zagorsky divides into three eras, 1857-1917, 1918-1923, 1923-1991. Even Stampworld separates them.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 320Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05