Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does The Global Shipping Program Help With New Vat Laws

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 290Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1556 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   11:44 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Every week I get push back from buyers in the EU with regards to VAT. Some insist that I pay VAT for them, most want me to falsify the purchase price or call it a gift.

Last week a seller wrote me;

Quote:
Hello,
A new law in Europa requires to pay for the purchased item plus import charges from the country of purchase. If this is not done the Belgian customs taxes are increased.
That's why I asked you. Several eBay merchants already do this.
Take a look at an example : 1870s US Internal Revenue Distillery Warehouse Stamp.UNUSED.NOT FILLED OUT .USA
Best regards.
Daniel

I looked at the example he gave and that seller utilizes the Global Shipping program. Will this save VAT buyers money? I investigated the GSP and found that I couldn't combine items for shipping and that will require me to ship more items and for the buyers to pay more shipping but maybe they will save on VAT?

Does anyone understand this stuff?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5785 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   12:04 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I understand it, VAT for EU countries will be automatically calculated and applied by eBay and customs/duty info provided under the GSP (at least, that's what the eBay message to me trying to enrol me in the GSP said). The issue for EU buyers is similar to that arising from US taxes on eBay purchases. It's the responsibility of the buyer to understand his/her local tax/duty regime and pay the costs - I have wording in my eBay item descriptions along these lines. As far as I know, "gift" to the UK is irrelevant - duty still arises.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1556 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   12:16 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have wording too, but people either don't read it or they think they can negotiate after the purchase. It drives me nuts.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
927 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a bit of a muddle for many platforms, not just eBay, due to the new rules implemented on July 1st. Delcampe recently sent out "guidance" that ended up just confusing many sellers from outside the EU that sell into it.
Learn More...
9685 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   1:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being a retailer and dealing with the general public can often be a challenge and is one of the reasons that many people burn out from this type of business. It is not for everyone and certainly is not for folks who do not have a deep well of patience to draw from; I have a fair amount of patience but I had to walk away from our retail business after almost two decades.

For example, we had simple terms and conditions for the sale of our aquarium fish; I would replace any fish that died no matter how long you had owned it. The requirements were; a receipt, the dead fish in a baggie (frozen if they could not get to store quickly), and a sample of water from their fish tank. For obvious reasons I did not replace fish if they had been attacked by fish mates and I did not replace fish that came from 'swamp' tanks (tanks with killer pH or ammonia levels). These requirements were clearly displayed in the store, on the receipts, and also verbally delivered with each fish sale.

This policy allowed us to engage with our customers and teach them more about the hobby and worked well for the majority of folks.

But a few times each month someone would be stupid. When I was younger and had less patience and this would wear on me, I did not fully learn to be more patient until I had to deal with my medical situation over the last 7 years.

But I now employ the following perspective; about 10% of my life is dealing with 'stuff' (you know, 'stuff happens') and the other 90% is how I deal with it. Since I have control over how I deal with 'stuff', I have control over the majority of my life.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5247 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   4:23 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know, participating in the GSP has no bearing on a U.S. seller's obligation regarding VAT. In both cases eBay handles it all. A U.S. seller has no control over, or obligation with VAT. It's all between the buyer, their government, and eBay.

I mention nothing in my listings about VAT, state sales tax, USPS delivery times, the weather in Idaho, the latest football scores, or anything else that I am not responsible for or involved with.

IMO it's best to leave that all to the venue.
Edited by revenuecollector - 08/05/2021 4:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1171 Posts
Posted 08/05/2021   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whether it is VAT, GST, HST, or any other import tax in any country, it is the responsibility of the buyer to understand the importation laws and sale or other taxes of his country as mentioned by several others.

Aside from that:
I received a package of St. Pierre stamps from France yesterday for $75.00 and the Canada customs exchanged the rate to $104.10 Cdn so I had to pay the 15% HST applicable in N.S. I understood that I would be paying taxes where applicable to anything purchased over $20.00 cdn coming into Canada. That was $15.62. No problem.

The part I do not care for is that the Post office charges a handling fee of another $9.95cdn just to collect the money. That is the insane part, as postage was paid to send the package and get a signature, handling included. That much to just collect the cash in the Post. Office and have it electronically forwarded to the appropriate office leaves a bitter taste.

Why do custom offices not have an account payable online through a bank or other means. I am sure they are already tied into the P.O.system with the use of tags and barcodes. This would allow a purchaser to receive a notice of his mail delivery as he does now with a customs barcode that he can use to pay the charges directly by electronic means, instead of at the Post Office. When he makes the payment he can go in and sign and pick up his mail with no additional fees as the customs fees would be prepaid. Maybe they just want to keep things complicated and expensive?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1556 Posts
Posted 08/06/2021   6:40 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess what I was asking is if any SCF member living in a VAT country has bought items on eBay from a seller that uses the Global Shipping Program. How has it worked out, is it cheaper for the buyer?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2707 Posts
Posted 08/06/2021   7:44 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How could it possibly be cheaper for the buyer? They are charged VAT either way an the shipping is much more expensive.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1171 Posts
Posted 08/06/2021   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken, dont know answer to that. Have not purchased anything from eBay under that new setup.

Of note though:
I just checked out the following site. https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custo...d-tax-vat_en. I found a page detailing customs rates for all EU states. It details the rates for differing goods and services. After looking at the table under individuals/ goods and services/ taxation of works of art/ collectors items and antiques and under Be column for Belgium, I did find that the standard rate is 21 percent. But there is a reduced rate available for "Rate on importation (Article 103 of the directive 2006/112/EC)." So maybe ebays global shipping program does not take items like that into account and mark the customs label as such? Therefore the complaint from that one individual may be valid. Maybe he should just show customs the paperwork and request an adjustment of the amount applicable if incorrect or overcharged.

Too bad ebays system did not let the seller select the proper code from an appropriate list for foreign country sales, which would then automaticly apply the proper tax rate to the billing amount as applicable.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 08/06/2021 11:21 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 290Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05