Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Business College Practice Stamp Doesn't Seem To Be What It First Appears

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 377Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1662 Posts
Posted 08/07/2021   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Drummond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There was a small series of practice stamps that was used in schools and colleges in the nineteenth century to simulate the then-current usage of revenue and postage stamps. Rather than have students use actual stamps, these practice stamps were used almost daily by many of the students, and most were eventually discarded. Retaining them for a long period of time would probably be equivalent to a high school student today keeping their book reports or graded tests until they retired.

The four different values in this particular series are shown below. Note that they are all rouletted, and are in a milky blue shade.

These stamps can sometimes be found still attached to checks, envelopes, and other school classwork. Just like their real-world counterparts, they are found with manuscript, handstamp, or other cancellations. Examples of almost all business college stamps that are tied to a document of some kind are of significantly higher value than the stamps by themselves.

The marginal borders on these stamps is made up of crosshatched lines, and the text is a solid color.

I recently came across what appeared to be an example of the two cent value being used as a postage stamp on a cover. This not something that I personally have seen too many examples of, of any business college stamp.

I guess I'm not the only one that has an interest in these types of things, as the final bid was considerably more than the $9.95 starting bid. Ten different bidders, including myself, bid on this item.

Once I received it, I saw that the color of the stamp was definitely different than the milky blue types. It also appeared to be imperforate, rather than rouletted.

Hmmm, maybe this was a "new" type?

Out came the magnifying glass, and then I realized that the borders were made up of just vertical lines. And the text was not solid like on the previous set, but was, again, made up of vertical lines.

The cancellation sure looked like it tied the stamp to the cover, but I was wondering why the grid cancel at the top was on the stamp and the envelope, but the grid cancel at the bottom (the one to the right of the dated cancel) was only on the envelope.

I turned the cover upside down, and then I saw that there was a manuscript cancel in that cancellation mess on the stamp, as well. And it appeared to read "3/8/85," the same date in the Boston cancel. Finally, I realized that the black diagonal manuscript line that was between the "8" and the "85" was also made up of vertical lines. This line is near the center of the "2."

At this point, I'm not entirely sure what I have here. Is the whole thing a fake? Are the cancels fake? Is the stamp a photographic copy of some sort? If so, why on earth would anyone take the time to create this? I don't think that there are that many collectors of this type of material.

Or is this a discovery of a new type of this design?

Or is it something else entirely?

What do you think?

Jim

p.s. Other than some light smudge marks, the only thing on the back side of this cover is a penciled marking that seems to read, "About Miss Lowell."
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5260 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   12:33 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like an image that may have been cut out of a book, pamphlet, or journal, and then affixed to the cover.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7555 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The paper should be closely compared for each; if it's just an image it should be easy enough to tell.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7555 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also the example on the cover was not printed as cleanly as the others, which may account for some of the design differences.
Valued Member
United States
458 Posts
Posted 08/27/2021   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joe1225us to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, (referring to your post about the Sloan), you win some and you lose some!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 377Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05