Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Stamps Alum, Collected In The 70īs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 354Next Topic  
Valued Member

6 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stanleys to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good day everyone,

I just registered and I hope to find some help in identifying a stamp collection.

There is a big album with US Stamps collected in the 70's. I have been looking online for the past days, however there are so many differences regarding prices, colors, editions that it overhelms me :)

I am looking forward to make it a new hobby, but I think it will be a long way...

Any input about the above photos will be greatly appreciated. If the pictures abe not good enought, I am thinking about hosting them in a higher resolution on an external website.

Thank you so much :)

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9769 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   08:29 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!
I agree that you have a good start on a new hobby. Do not quit your day job and in fact you might need a second job to help grow your new hobby! You can start by spending some time reading lots of the older threads here and on Stamp Smarter https://stampsmarter.org/. This will give you many days of reading/learning and help you come up to speed without spending money on costly reference materials. Once you have a better understanding on your enjoyment of the hobby, you might then consider investing in other reference materials.

Your images above are fine, no need to post new ones.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Don's comments above. Would check the 6 and 8 cent small banknotes (Garfield and sherman) for presence of I or R watermark (Scott 271a abd 272a). U likely, but you never know unless you look.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the board and a great hobby!

You've got a great head start here. If you want to get into this hobby, After doing some reading and exploring as Don suggests, one of the first things you might want to consider is to buy a used Scott's catalog (1A US Specialized) which will be a great source of information and help you identify the issues that you have and what you don't have. You can find a catalog that is a few years old for much less than a new version and it will give all the same identification information for these issues. They are always available on eBay. Values don't usually change rapidly so it'll give you an idea of "relative" value. I've been collecting since 1972 and I always buy two year old catalogs, use them for a couple years and get another.

Short of buying one, you can get your feet wet by checking them out for free at most public libraries too.

As Don mentioned there are great online resources that you should explore.

The stock book is a great place to keep them. You won't need one right away but there are a number of stamp albums available for sale and very good pages to download and print for free. As you have questions this is a great place to ask them. Other basic tools you might need (if you don't have) are a good magnifying glass and tongs (specialty tweezers for handling stamps).

Conversations about all these items are available on this board and can be found through the search feature.
Learn More...
9769 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   10:44 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...The stock book is a great place to keep them...

Quoted for truth. In my opinion starting with stock book/stock pages (i.e. Vario pages) is the best way to begin since they support 're-organization' as your knowledge and collecting desires take form. Once you have a better idea on your collecting(s) direction, you then will be in a much better position to make costly album purchasing decisions.
Don
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanleys to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everybody,

I cannot believe that only 3 hours after asking my question I received so many wonderful ideas! Thank you all so much for your time :)

I had a first look at Stamp Smarter and it's library of books seems the best start in my hobby. I do have a full time job (Don, I will not quit it, no worry - I am stil dependant on it and I also have a lot of fun doing it) and my time is quite limited. However, it has been so exciting to find also the history behind every stamp and I am really looking forward to discover more!

I am also grateful for the ideas regarding the first aquisitions I need to make - thanks again! I did try some PC software (LignUp Stamp Search) or an android app (Stamp Identifier) , but not realy the best results. The Scott Catalogues may seem the "old-fashioned" mwthod, but I still like my information on paper instead of digital, so here I go...

I was thinking in buying a Signoscope T3 to check the watermarks..Putting stamps in water of some fluid scares me a litte!

I am still "digesting" all of your tips - Thank you so much!!!

Edited by stanleys - 08/08/2021 12:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5835 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   11:48 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck. I'd suggest not springing for an electric watermark detector at this stage - they're quite expensive and not necessarily a big step-up from lighter fluid, which you shouldn't worry about. You could pick one up cheap in the "accessories"sections of stamp auctions in due course.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05