Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Siderographer Impact On A Stamp Value

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 466Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
73 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add serf_tide to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been assimilating my late father's stamp collection. I've spent hundreds of hours at this point and only touched about 10% of it. Several of you have conversed with me on the collection. I wanted to understand the impact of the siderographer on the value of a stamp. I have 2 blocks of US Scott #537 (Victory stamp). Both have initials in the side margin.

You can view them on my Google Drive under Plate Blocks/537 - Victory.

https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...Pmr_wAuMuN1Z

I'll post a low res image of one of them in here.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6296 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They will command a premium.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7437 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find that they add interest but I am not willing to pay much of a premium. Durland assigns no premium to them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
901 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
serf tide

JTF is John T Ford. SSL is Samuel S Ludlum. If you'd like to view a PF certified copy view certificate 571331 in the PF database.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
73 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add serf_tide to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice on the lookup database. Thanks.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
73 Posts
Posted 08/08/2021   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add serf_tide to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the purpose of it on stamps? I read that it was used on bank notes to attempt to prevent counterfeits, but that can't be the purpose on stamps since it is just next to 1 stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7437 Posts
Posted 08/09/2021   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
73 Posts
Posted 08/09/2021   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add serf_tide to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had seen that article but hadn't clicked on the Read more. Thanks for the info.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6296 Posts
Posted 08/09/2021   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Durland assigns no premium to them.

Does Durland assign a premium for imprint captures? Just asking because I don't own one.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
885 Posts
Posted 08/09/2021   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The siderographer's initials on impression of value is marginal.

They do spice up a corner block just a bit for some collectors but such is never spelled out in detail.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7437 Posts
Posted 08/09/2021   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does Durland assign a premium for imprint captures?

No, Durland does not assign a premium for an imprint capture alone without a plate number.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
851 Posts
Posted 08/09/2021   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some revenue collectors, including me, will pay a premium for imprint captures, even without a plate number.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7680 Posts
Posted 08/09/2021   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Imprint captures are much less common then siderographer's initials. Especially when they are this big.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6296 Posts
Posted 08/10/2021   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I would have thought it was completely opposite. Imprint captures I see on a regular basis but not the other. I too will pay a good premium for imprint captures in my collecting area.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 466Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05