Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Protector Sheet Streaks What Is ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 266Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
396 Posts
Posted 08/10/2021   03:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add tikithindi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi,
on some of my collection protector sheet I see smudge or streaks.
what are these ? on cleaning with alcohol cleans out completely.

On top margin discolorations.

On top margin is on protector sheet clears out with Alcohol

This one too on seet out side clears out with alcohol.
Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks
tikithindi

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 08/10/2021   06:14 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Discolouration from shelf storage?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 08/10/2021   07:12 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion one of two things is happening; either the plastic itself is undergoing a chemical change and yellowing or the plastic is attracting atmospheric pollutants. If the plastic itself is yellowing uniformly then I would suspect the former, if it is not uniform than I would suspect the latter.

Most sheet protectors are generators of electrostatic voltages. It is also common that paper will generate electrostatic voltages. An electrical charge occurs when electrons transfer during the sliding, rubbing, or separating of the sheet protector or paper. Once the sheet protector becomes charged, it attracts various atmospheric chemicals and pollutants. I suspect that is the discoloration you are seeing and why you can 'clean' it using alcohol. This issue will often be found in lower air quality situations such as cigarette smoke, vehicle fumes, or urban environments. If this is what has happened, there are ESD sheet protectors (for sale) but the real issue is more about air quality.

Sheet protectors are not an archival panacea, they add cost and do not really eliminate archival issues and, in some cases, can increase problems. By enclosing paper in one you are protecting the paper inside but you are also containing anything bad inside. In other words, sheet protectors can accelerate any acidification that might be occurring with the paper. If you are sure that what you are putting in a sheet protector is acid free (you have tested it and not simply believed some marketing on a package) then your risk over time is lessened. But the best practice remains the same no matter how you store your paper materials; control the environment, page through and visual check your archived items periodically, once every year or two actually test for acidification.
Don
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
Posted 08/10/2021   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tikithindi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Thank you very much Don, how detail you explained. I am surprised and amazed. I appreciate very much depth of explaining. Apart from Organizing, encountering three fold work. any way enjoy. Cleaning rearranging into appropriate Stock sheet albums, Glassine paper Books,
Glassine envelopes. Hat off Don.

Thank you very much apppreciate

Tikithindi
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1198 Posts
Posted 08/10/2021   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have a piece of paper or cardboard inside the sheet protectors? Maybe they are part of the source of your yellowing also.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6833 Posts
Posted 08/10/2021   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The discoloration appears to be limited to the open end of the protector where your fingers contacted the paper backer and opened the protector itself so I am saying oils and sweat from your digits handling and touching things.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 266Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05