Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting 1948 German Advertising Overprint On Pair

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 193Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 08/10/2021   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add WillUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I purchased this interesting Soviet Zone stamp which is one of a joined pair. The second stamp has been obliterated by advertising. I did not see a thread on these.

Has anyone seen this one and is there a reference? Are there others? This is not a cinderella to be added onto an envelope to advertise. This is a real stamp in a pair that is obliterated to advertise.

I look forward to any information anyone can provide.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 08/10/2021   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi I did a quick re-search and found the following details which may be relevant and helpful. From a German seller with a similar pair for sale.

946a Zd overprint "2. Nordd. Briefm.-Handelertag 1948"

Brand pair from a chessboard-like overprinted stamp sheet as described in the Michel special. This overprint was specially made for the "2nd North German Postage Stamp
Dealers' Day 1948 in Flensburg" and represents the famous Flensburg monument "Das Nordertor". Pair of stamps...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2505 Posts
Posted 08/10/2021   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is noted and illustrated in the Michel catalog, described in brief as a "private zusammendrucke".

There is an earlier one also listed and illustrated in Michel:

(not my stamp)
Described and illustrated by Michel as a private overprint. The printed part alternates in rows with a 1937 Stamp Day design, checkerboard-style. Both yours and this one are unpriced in my old catalog but are seen often enough.
http://www.pvoller.net/new_stamps/germany/1937.php

Not sure if any other contemporary/valid stamps were privately overprinted in Germany.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3091 Posts
Posted 08/10/2021   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! I've not seen either of these overprints before.

The first one was overprinted on a stamp issued for use in the combined British, American and Russian zones.

Flensburg was in the British zone.

The Nordertor gate is impressive:
Nigel
Valued Member
United Kingdom
82 Posts
Posted 08/11/2021   06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WillUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great replies thank you. I do see online a block that shows how these were printed on sheets. Must have been quite an enterprise. I will see if I can load up the picture. Thanks also for the picture of the gate. I love items that have a story behind them.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 193Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05