Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Stamp For Every Country Conundrum - And A Solution

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,179Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
799 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My maps look OK. Agree the country flags are not great in black and white, but not really a problem for me. One solution - get some coloured flag labels and stick them over the top.

I'm enjoying mine. Started out with a red GB stamp and decided to try and get a red stamp for every other country too. Soon ran out of options - my duplicates pile isn't as extravagent as I thought it was :)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
288 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   2:47 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your feedback.

In all honesty, it never crossed my mind that someone would expect (or think) that the interior graphics would be in color. Especially for what is essentially a stamp album. Interior color graphics would raise the cost of the album two or three times... I have received no other complaints about the quality of the map graphics...

I do appreciate your feedback!

John
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mine (hardback comprehensive) arrived today. Very nice album.

I do like the idea of getting flag labels.

Looking forward to digging in and filling those spaces! Great work.
claymorgan.me Some philately discussions. Some pontificating.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3148 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recall when I got my first album many years ago, applying the sheet of flags was fun.
Al
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
288 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   07:31 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I recall when I got my first album many years ago, applying the sheet of flags was fun.

Indeed. The only potential problem I see is finding a source for current (as of 2021) flag stickers. Does anyone know of a source that has all of the "legal" countries, as of 2021? That's what the simplified ASFEC album has...

I don't know if the sticker idea would work well with the comprehensive version, though. It includes forerunners, territories and other entities.

I guess someone could grab the free version (comprehensive) at the AlbumEasy/StampSmarter sites and change the graphics to color, and then self-print in color. That would be quite expensive, even if the album was scaled down to a simplified version. Not to mention the time involved to edit the source file, gather graphics, and etc. Definitely a project for someone with a lot of time on their hands...

Another factor is the maps. You can get tons of maps for personal projects. However, anything that is offered to the public must be public domain. I used CIA maps, because they are public domain and somewhat uniform in appearance.

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 09/19/2021 07:36 am
Learn More...
9752 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   08:01 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found that most folks prefer black and white album pages. I am not sure if it is the printing cost, if they prefer that the stamps add the color, or if they feel that having black/white allows them to see the missing stamps easier.

Of course, if the pages are downloaded in color users can easily choose to print in gray scale if desired.
Don
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know if the sticker idea would work well with the comprehensive version, though. It includes forerunners, territories and other entities.

I thought about this over the weekend, after receiving my comprehensive. A set of flag stickers I looked at on Amazon even omitted certain smaller countries, including some of the Caribbean nations and even the Vatican and Liechtenstein.

I THINK my route will be where possible, to place a postage stamp featuring that nation's flag instead of the flag itself. Maybe. An idea I like, anyway. For those that are unavailable, maybe I can find something to print.
claymorgan.me Some philately discussions. Some pontificating.
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only potential problem I see is finding a source for current (as of 2021) flag stickers. Does anyone know of a source that has all of the "legal" countries, as of 2021?

Why not use UN stamps that featured flags of all countries a few years ago? And UN stamps should be available at a steep discount.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
288 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   4:02 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why not use UN stamps that featured flags of all countries a few years ago? And UN stamps should be available at a steep discount.

A great idea! One could build an ASFEC album around those issues. Alas, since the last of that series was in 1999, the world map has changed quite a bit since then. I guess that you would be able to cover a big percentage that way, but definitely not all of the "legal" countries which exist in 2021. I haven't counted them one-by-one, but I think you would have some holes, flag-wise...

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 09/19/2021 4:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
UN Flag stamps have been issued as recently as 2020.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
288 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   5:35 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oops - my bad!
Apologies...

John
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,179Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05