Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Zealand Postal-Fiscal Stamps -Choked On My Coffee This Morning .

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 755Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
5515 Posts
Posted 08/12/2021   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add floortrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This morning was at a friends house going thru my recent large purchase that I was helping to sort .

I always had interest in the New Zealand postal -fiscal's ,Had nothing real important but always thought I would buy at auction a stronger collection to add to what I had .

This morning while drinking my coffee ,almost spilled it when this pop up in a glassine , too high to be used for postal usage but something that made my day .
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6302 Posts
Posted 08/12/2021   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the QV 1882 revenues, the highest postal revenue stamp listed by Stanley Gibbons is the one pound value.

On the modern "coat of arms" type, the $10 value is not uncommon, postally used.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 08/12/2021   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a far cry from Eight Shillings.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1651 Posts
Posted 08/12/2021   11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can see the full range of the denominations on page 142, 4d - 1000 (R182-R241)

https://aucklandcitystamps.co.nz/20...e-catalogue/

and further reading see 1880:

https://www.ozrevenues.com/Revenue-...atalogue.htm
Edited by 22crows - 08/12/2021 11:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5515 Posts
Posted 08/13/2021   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
22 CROWS ----Thanks for the link ,those sets of New Zealand fiscals have some very serious prices.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5515 Posts
Posted 08/14/2021   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found another piece for my N.Z. Fiscal- Postage page .

First let me say I have no research material on this subject .

This piece raises some interesting points .

What is the metal/stripe between the two stamps ?

This is not from a revenue office ,it is from the Stamp Center in Wellington and uses a postage stamp .

Interesting because GOOGLE says this location prints stamps so it is NOT a revenue used . Interesting to is the stamps are Imperforated . Now it makes no sense for a employee to cut off the edges . It must of came from the printing presses and stayed that way until they were cut from the sheet .

So I have to say there is three ways these stamps were used as revenues as postage and government mail .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6805 Posts
Posted 08/14/2021   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul - Can you make out what the embossed stamp says?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
636 Posts
Posted 08/14/2021   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The metal strip is used, along with the embossing, to help keep anyone from reusing the stamps on a different document. They are fiscal uses, including the 1d.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5834 Posts
Posted 08/15/2021   01:34 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Stamp office" here refers, I think, to the body responsible for the application of stamp duty, hence the revenue stamps/usage.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5515 Posts
Posted 08/15/2021   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam ----- I can't make out the embossed seal or read it .

I think you guys are correct it is a revenue useage . That is how I will write it up and mount it on a album page .
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1651 Posts
Posted 08/15/2021   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the embossed seal says Wellington.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 755Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05