Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Czechoslovakia Carrier Pigeon 20 H Type I Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 240Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
Posted 08/14/2021   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NicholasC to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
According to Scott Classic Catalogue...

The stamp on the left is a Scott #84 type II with the short 2 and oval inside the zero. The stamp on the right has the nature of type I with a long 2 and angled inside of the zero...

But the one on the right is missing some detail, e.g. the eye of the pigeon and the feathers are not as well defined. Is this simply a fake? Scott lists a type I with the description of the 2 and the zero as I noted, but it does not list any value either unused or used.

Note: I don't know what the color looks like when viewing this post, but the stamps are definitely a deep orange.
Send note to Staff
Edited by NicholasC - 08/14/2021 5:32 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5515 Posts
Posted 08/14/2021   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the printer cleaned up the design in the later printings .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
Posted 08/14/2021   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess that is one way to look at it. So, if what I have is a real type I, why no value in Scott catalogue? Anyone have another catalog that can look this up?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5515 Posts
Posted 08/14/2021   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Because both have the same value which is the minimum .
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3189 Posts
Posted 08/14/2021   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These stamps have been written up in very great detail.
Hundreds of millions were printed through many printings.
Just an idea if you havn't checked this:

https://czechout.org/test2/dove/20-1.pdf
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
Posted 08/14/2021   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, interesting read.

The article does state that the Type I didn't have much life. It states:

"The highest use of the Type I stamps was in 1921; their use was much reduced by 1922. The apparent scarcity of mint copies seems to indicate that most of the stamps were used for postage."

I found this in the Scott Catalog in the "Understanding value notations" section:

"The absence of a retail value for a stamp does not necessarily suggest that a stamp is scarce or rare. A dash in the value column means that the stamp is known in a stated form or variety, but information is either lacking or insufficient for purposes of establishing a usable catalogue value."

I'm just going to mount the stamp and identify as Type I. Not going to worry about its value.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
636 Posts
Posted 08/15/2021   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to m like your Type I is a bit over inked, which causes the differences you talk about. I don't think it's a forgery.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 240Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05