Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Article On Shill Baseball Collectibles On Ebay.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 520Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

580 Posts
Posted 08/17/2021   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rismoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Food for thought:
This is pervasive across many venues and collectibles. Good to see eBay taking action finally.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/news/...g-pwcc?amp=1
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7119 Posts
Posted 08/17/2021   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PWCC is the subject of an ongoing FBI investigation that has lasted more than two years.

Probably had a lot to do with eBay's proactiveness.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Forum Dad
USA
1723 Posts
Posted 08/17/2021   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They pay no listing fee and a 1% final fee as of last year.
Valued Member
79 Posts
Posted 08/17/2021   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The interesting statement here IMHO is "Today's unilateral action by eBay simply hastens PWCC's move to the new platform" The more restrictions eBay puts (and cuts into profits), the more the pro dealers are just going to jump ship and build their own platforms. This is not 2001 where an internet auction is something novel but now anybody can just pop up their own auction house no need to go through eBay. This could be beginning of future where pro dealers abandon eBay and it goes back to its eBay garage sale roots which definitely isn't a good thing for eBay, as they have been trying to crack into more prestigious, higher end collectible markets for years and years.
Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 08/17/2021   10:02 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder what would happen to our hobby if hackers shut down eBay for a few days. I wonder if that would cause some folks to revisit how they feel about eBay?

If we could wave a wand and transfer all of the philatelic listings and traffic to another platform, is the thinking that the other platform would not quickly begin to cash in by 'updating' their terms and conditions? Does anyone think that the new platform would have a similar infrastructure which has the ability to index a new listing instantaneously the way that eBay does now? Does anyone feel that the other platform would not have the same issues that eBay does now if they had the same worldwide marketing reach?

In my opinion it has probably been the single greatest positive impact for our hobby in my lifetime. Trying to disposition my extra material before eBay was far more difficult and I think that finding specific material was more difficult.

Does eBay have issues? Of course, they suck in many ways but in balance I think they have been a good thing for philately.
Don
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 08/17/2021   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I fully agree with Don. eBay has had a major impact on the stamp hobby..
Before the year 2000, many stamps I collected like Thailand revenues were extremely rare and nearly impossible to find for any price!
After the year 2000 when eBay became more popular it was suddenly possible to buy for quite low prices single stamps missing from sets or other lower value stamps. No auction house sells 1 dollar stamps in auction, that means you had to buy box lots or larger country collections, resulting in huge amounts of excess stamps.
Lots of long dormant material could find its way into the market via eBay.

Yes, eBay makes a lot of irritating changes like the global shipping program (irritating at least for me living in Thailand and being asked to pay $47 shipping on a $1 value stamp). But like every new rules in the world, we can try to live with it or find ways o mitigate the impact.
As a seller of stamps, eBay is the only auction site with enough bidders to make it possible to list auction style lots all starting at $.99 and still get good final selling results.
Hipstamps and Delcampe are only suitable for fixed price auctions due to lower amount of bidders.

So all in all, eBay is a great contributor for our hobby.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
813 Posts
Posted 08/17/2021   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If PWCC is the eBay seller's ID, it has no active listing and no completed listing history following an advanced search by seller as of 10 minutes ago.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4499 Posts
Posted 08/17/2021   11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
813 Posts
Posted 08/21/2021   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If PWCC is the eBay seller's ID

"pwcc_auctions" is the correct ID I see from redwoodrandy. Thanks, it helps to have the correct seller's ID to go ponder and stew.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 520Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05