Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Genuine Or Fournier/Hirschberger Forgery?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 617Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2497 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just fella, yeah, show the others.

There are many differences between genuine and forgeries and I only happen to list the ones that are noted in references or that I have learned as quick reference points.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1100 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are the ones I found suspect for one or another reason
If

This one looks ok but I couldn't find another ste Marie

This one could be another inking issue
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5834 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   5:23 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you check the perfs, that should give you the answer.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1100 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only reason I didn't rely on that is I think I need a new gauge
I'm not 100% but it seems to be off so I don't really trust it so much (thinking 1/4 or more off)
Kinda why I was looking for visual possibilities to help be sure
14.25x13.25 some are 14.25x13.5

I know I could round 14x13.5 but I learn and get to be sure if I find more possible ways to eliminate things
Edited by Just_fella - 08/18/2021 5:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2497 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This one looks ok but I couldn't find another ste Marie

As GeoffHa noted, except for the stamp value, the basic designs across all values for the originals are essentially identical. The basic designs across all values for the Hirschbergers are essentially identical. So, country has nothing to do with being able to tell genuine vs. forgeries. There will be variations due to printing quality.

The identification characteristics are clear on all the examples here. You're overthinking things here, I think.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1100 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could be right I'll move on
Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1198 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The hands on the flagpole are a dead giveaway of the forgery as previously mentioned. The hand on forgery looks more clublike.

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
698 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Design elements provide helpful evidence, but perforation remains the simplest, easiest test. The perf gauge is an essential, basic tool. Get a good one and learn how to use it.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1100 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the clear view gauge by unitrade associates was good but I've questioned it too much lately after perf 10 3/4
Edited by Just_fella - 08/19/2021 10:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
3814 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reduce the variables. I would set the gauges aside and compare stamps directly against other stamps.

Do all the stamps you believe to be genuine match each other? Do all those you suspect of being forgeries fail to match the genuine ones? Etc.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1100 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good call John Becker
I will definitely start doing that as well from now on
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The perfs of the original meet in the corners. This is very evident in blocks and sheets. In the forgery, the corners are just plain funky. A perf gauge will not help in choosing stamps online, but a quick look at the corners is helpful, especially if the postmark obscures the fruit and the hand.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1100 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks greaden!
Great tip
I'm definitely going to be on the look out for some :)

Thinking this is one
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/36349823476...Cclp:2334524
Edited by Just_fella - 08/19/2021 6:47 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 617Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05