Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scanning Exhibit Pages

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 458Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add blcjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm getting requests for a PDF of my 10 frame exhibit shown at GASS last week. I prepared the exhibit on 11x17 inch sheets, hence a total of 80 for the exhibit. When preparing the exhibit, I did scans at 600 dpi of each page in both JPG and PDF format. In either format, the total file size for 80 images/pages was on the order of 1 GB. Using Acrobat, I reduced the PDF version to two PDF files of about 220 MB each.

Taking a quick look at some web sites that host online exhibits, I am not seeing files this large, so I have to presume they scanned at a lower resolution. What is considered an acceptable scan resolution for online exhibits? Should I try to make my files smaller? I have thought about submitting the exhibit to APS to host, but they do not have any guidance that I can find as to what is considered appropriate, acceptable, or desirable as to the tradeoff between file size and resolution.

I'm open to suggestions.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The important question to ask is, Am I scanning for others to view, or for others to print?

Try here: https://www.pixelperfectcreative.co...g/72-dpi-why
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9890 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   3:56 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Basil,
I would be happy to publish your exhibit on Stamp Smarter if desired. I can also compile the pages into a PDF for download. Let me know if you are interested...
Don
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

See the note I sent to "staff."

Basil
Pillar Of The Community
720 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The International Association of Olympic Collectors (AICO) (a group of 18 societies dealing with sports and the Olympics) is hosting a virtual exhibition of Olympic material beginning in early September. According to information that I received from them, there are over 100 exhibits registered for the show. Their instructions were very specific about how to scan: 300 dpi for each page, no scanning of material in page protectors. Also each scan must be pdf format and then then converted to 1 file. Also the exhibits are limited to 128 pages (8 frames) and the pdf file is limited to 500 megs.

The show is called AIWOS 2021 (AICO Web Olympic Show) and will go live on September 5. I am showing 8 frames dedicated to the USA 1932 Olympic Winter Games stamp (Scott #716). I don't think I have shown the exhibit either nationally or internationally since Athens 2004.
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glenn,

That is interesting information. Thanks for supplying it.

FYI, I talked with the editor of FIRST DAYS (Kent Miller) at GASS. During a presentation to the board, he mentioned working with editors of other journals to jointly publish articles together. I told him of your interest in my work on the Victory, VT, patriotic covers, and of Foster's interest on behalf of FIRST DAYS during my online discussion with Ken Lawrence. Now that the exhibit is done and has been shown, I plan to start doing some writing on the subject. (I've got enough material for half a dozen or more different articles.) Since I was approached by Foster first, I told Kent that I'd send him a draft of the first article I want to write (specifically on the D-Day patriotic covers postmarked at Victory) and a proposal for several more, and recommended that he contact you to see if the two of you might work together on this.

Basil
Learn More...
9890 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   5:50 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Basil,
email sent
Don
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't received an email, Don.
Learn More...
9890 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   7:56 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Understood, resent.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3194 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For exhibit pages posted on the web, I would think there are 2 views needed - a preview and a better detailed view.
Al
Learn More...
9890 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   07:00 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Basil's incredible exhibit is located here https://stampsmarter.org/Learning/album_VT.html

The online viewable exhibit is a responsive design so that it dynamically fits every display screen size. You can zoom in to see details if desired. There is also a PDF download if folks would like to download the entire exhibit to their own device. The PDF is fully text searchable and the page sizes reduced so it downloads easily. If researchers desire the highest resolution scanned images please let Basil or myself know.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3194 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What scanner was used since pages are 11x17?
Al
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have an HP 7740 printer with scanning capability.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 458Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05