Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

RPPC: President Coolidge Milks A Cow

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 322Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1321 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This has to be the best card I rescued from a $1 box at the Chicago APS show. Here we have President Calvin Coolidge apparently heading off to do some milking. Well, it's Coolidge anyway, but he might not have been in office at the time, as there's nothing on the back indicating a date. And he might be coming back from the barn, post-milking, but that pail looks light.

I'd love to know the story behind this one!

Send note to Staff
Edited by GregAlex - 08/18/2021 9:44 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pride of Northampton MA along with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1236 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt that a lot of parents had photos taken of their children and done as postcards. Many were given or sent to other family members. The pail looks light and that stool looks heavier!

Not being a presidential history buff of my neighbours to south, and with enough to learn about Prime Ministers in Canada, I would like to know if you easily reckognized him? Especially mixed in a box of probably hundreds of cards.

Nice find though. Would have been truly spectacular if it had been autographed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1321 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would like to know if you easily reckognized him?

Surprisingly, yes. But obviously no one else did or it would have been gone before I got there. The milking outfit caught my eye first, then I recognized the face. Someone had written "Coolidge" on the back so that confirmed it, but I would have grabbed it regardless.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1321 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More confirmation! The photo was probably taken in 1920 on Coolidge's father's farm in Vermont. I found other photos of him in the same outfit.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-p...5022287.html

https://www.cardcow.com/818925/plym...-presidents/

In July 1920, Coolidge was governor of Massachusetts and wouldn't be elected Vice President under Harding until later that year.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1236 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I'le be a farmers son! That is neat. Appears ti be from same photo session.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 322Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05