Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France #261 Question?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 210Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
1128 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Just_fella to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This might be looked at like a silly question ( don't know if I should make a note or re-read something TBH)
Looking at Maury there's a few entrees for #261
Sorting the types was easy enough (I don't have a type ll...yet)
One type lll has me kind of mixed up a bit I guess
It's listed as blue. (Not sure I understand the F25 then F50 part fully, could be what I'm getting confused on)
Then there's other listed in black (also the colour chaudron I believe is a burgundy or maroon could be wrong)

Did the blue type lll have black printed over them, Making it black on blue?
I guess is my question
Agin might be something I missed or didn't fully understand

Thanks again!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm looking at my 2019 Maury... #261 is the 10f La Rochelle, yes? This is what I see:

Type I in pale ultramarine, with EPL and EPL in black on sheet variants
Type II in blue, and IIa in ultramarine
Type III in blue, with color essay and EPA/EPL variants

Then, several several test printings:
291A (261C) Type II in bright ultramarine only three sheets known
261B (261A) in copper (chaudron), both perforate and imperforate
261C (261B) in black, both perforate and imperforate

I don't see the Type III in black you refer to.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1128 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No 20-21
For the 261A-261C I didn't see a type written (I assumed they where type lll)
Pretty sure it's not one of them

Type ll has the open part of the 0 in 10 open at the bottom if I under that right?
And type l has the E to look for
If so it's not a type l or ll, it's not heavy spots of dark blue ink far as I can tell

It looks like black was placed above the blue (could be wrong)

Edited by Just_fella - 08/19/2021 12:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3818 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May we have a scan of an entire stamp to get some idea of what this thread is about? Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1128 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, well, the black 261 test print is all black ink. Perhaps the black-on-blue is still "blue," and was how the printer made it darker in shade? Do you have other specimens, for an ultramarine vs. blue vs. this example color comparison?
Edited by classic_paper - 08/19/2021 2:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1128 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are the ones that I have
I think the first two top and bottom are type l and the other 4 type ll

Edited by Just_fella - 08/19/2021 2:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3191 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no such thing as black ink on blue in these stamps.What you see is in fact a depost or bunching up of the blue ink in the center of the letters. In the pic below the light colors are the constituants of the oxidized ink.
The diffderent colors found in these stamps can be sorted by printing dates.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1128 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll consider this solved!
I was just going to ask if oxidation would turn the blue to a black....I did read blue ink turns turquoise but still wondered
Thanks perf12
Edited by Just_fella - 08/19/2021 3:33 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 210Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05