Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Keep Up With Your Purchases?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,224Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Cyprus
124 Posts
Posted 08/20/2021   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Moose to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I went home to Cyprus after nearly a year of travel restrictions in the UK and took along with me the year's accumulation of stamps and covers purchased for my collections along with a naive thought of spending some time sorting and filling up pages in my albums.
Naive, considering that I hadn't been home for a year... and yes there was a lot to catch up on that did not pertain to philately.
And I forced myself not to go the Cyprus Post Office Philatelic Counter to collect my standing orders because I just didn't have the courage to add more envelopes to the multitudes eagerly spilling out from the stamp cupboard in the study (the bookshelves were filled up ages ago).
So, no stamp mounting took place but I did rummage and open a few boxes, envelopes and albums to remind myself of what was lurking behind their lids and covers and I started wondering; when the hell will I ever get a chance to sort all this out? When will I have the time to make/print pages (Steiner doesn't always work) and get them mounted? Will my collection just be an accumulation of boxes and envelopes and half printed/prepared albums?
I have thought of bringing a country collection to work on whilst in the UK but due to work/housing arrangements it isn't quite that easy. So I just troll the auctions and pick up pieces for my collections taking them back with me on each visit home only to increase the numbers.
Does anybody else have this dilemma? What do you do to keep things manageable?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 08/20/2021   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone else have this dilemma?——LOL
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2015 Posts
Posted 08/20/2021   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Yeah, .... maybe.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1044 Posts
Posted 08/20/2021   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do you do to keep things manageable?

Organization is key!

Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 08/20/2021   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This reminds me of a similar phenomenon in modeling (plastic miniatures, tanks, planes, etc): it's usually called "trapped under plastic." Hobbyists buy too many models to ever build, and build too many models to ever paint. The solution is called "slaying the gray," and involves a combination of 1) biting the bullet and just grinding through the backlog for a single night or marathon weekend or longer, and 2) parsing things out to friends for help with assembly or paint.

The day I get something, I put it away that night: nothing makes it to dawn without being put into a stockbook (intermediate step) or album (final). A few minutes every few days is easier than a few hours once a month.

Do you have any friends who could be trusted to sort or print mount or organize for you?
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 08/20/2021   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moose, if I wasn't forced to clean up for an in-laws visit I'd drag it all out and take a picture for you, stamps and covers in glassines, envelopes, plastic containers, most packed in larger plastic containers. Taking up way too much space. I like to think I know where things are when I'm ready for them but the truth is it's a mess.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1925 Posts
Posted 08/20/2021   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Me too. I finally decided to clean up my act. Slowly but surely.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 08/20/2021   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
if possible I would set aside an hour or two of dedicated time on a given day each week to devote to organization for as long as it takes. once that stage is reached, devote the time to sorting and mounting. along the way at any stage sort the inevitable duplicates by country and alphabetically.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
Posted 08/20/2021   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moose, are you describing a problem or are you just bragging?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1806 Posts
Posted 08/20/2021   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The day I get something, I put it away that night

Same here.

The moment it's out of the envelope it's processed.

I have a natural aversion to clutter so that probably helps!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
952 Posts
Posted 08/20/2021   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Deciding to drastically cut down my collecting scope & selling off everything else has helped with this problem a great deal. Not a solution for most probably, but working for me. As a benefit, has been more satisfying too as I have a strong completionist bent, and narrowing scope makes that more obtainable.

Also helps having a spare room where the "stuff" ends up - out of sight, out of mind can be practiced.

~Greg
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1192 Posts
Posted 08/21/2021   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My philatelic focus is quite limited, so I don't buy a lot of stuff, but I usually process whatever I do buy within a day or two, so there's no backlog.

I buy a lot of DVDs, and I also add them to my inventory right away. Unfortunately, I don't always get around to watching them immediately. Consequently, I have a distressingly large number of DVDs that remain unwatched after 10 or 15 years.

If I had to spend two hours looking at each and every stamp or cover that I buy, it would be a huge problem.
Valued Member
Cyprus
124 Posts
Posted 08/21/2021   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ Classic paper - Nobody out there that I know will give stamp collecting any time of day, my daughter once, decided to go thematic - lions - but it turns out that she just didn't want to disappoint me by saying outright no to stamp collecting, my son was less diplomatic and as for the missus....
@ Germania - If I had an organised collection in albums the way I picture it eventually, yep that would be bragging but at the moment it seems like a problem compounded by the 5000 miles between me and my collections
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 08/22/2021   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a neat-nick but even so, my home office and workshop get completely overrun with "stuff" and I have to just stop everything and organize/clean up be it a for a day or a few hours. Clutter drives a me a little nuts. I have a lot of stuff but everything has it's place.

My wife claims I am OCD, to which I continually have correct her: CDO (proper alphabetical order)

This conversation reminds me of a dealer with a shop in Rockville, MD back in the early 80's that I used to frequent. His back room was a disaster. It had rows of shelves and filing cabinets that were over flowing ans spilling all over the place. Stuff stacked everywhere with several inches of material on the floor that he was walking on and had to "navigate" his way through. I asked him why he didn't just take a weekend per month for organizing and cleaning. I mean he could never find anything and always had to call you back. He said he didn't have the time, desire or energy to do it and he just wanted to sell the shop and get out. At the time I was interested but didn't have the means and I was making serious headway on the foundation for my career. I even offered to come in and help him but he had no interest. It drove me a little nuts just to walk in his shop.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5516 Posts
Posted 08/22/2021   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moose ---- I got a few stamps that I am processing from a stamp auction purchase .
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 08/22/2021   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry but I gotta talk about the elephant in the room.

I've been reading all of the posts on this thread, and I'm reading a collective sighing of relief that everyone here is experiencing the same thing. Oh, my. I haven't laughed this hard in awhile.

Thank you all for being like the rest of us nut jobs. See we are not alone. #129315;#128514;#129315;
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,224Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05