Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Information - 1920s Austrian Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 191Next Topic  

2 Posts
Posted 08/21/2021   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ShiftyCryptic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi forumites, I'm not actually a collector, so I don't know all that much about stamps. I picked up this old postcard at an antique store and was hoping to find some info about it. The card is dated 29.12.24, so I'm assuming its from 1924, but it could be 1929 as well. There are two 100 krone stamps, and one 500.

I guess what I want to know is:
How common were these stamps?
How much would it have cost to send in today's currency?
How far would the 700kr have sent this card? (I found it in BC, Canada)
Really any other info would be appreciated, I tried looking around but I couldn't find much. Thanks!

For some reason I'm getting a 404 error when I try to upload the images, so here's a link to where I have them in a google drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...?usp=sharing

(Apologies for poor quality, my phone's camera isn't the best)

Edit - I'm an idiot and thought the stamps were from Norway for some reason. My bad.

Send note to Staff
Edited by ShiftyCryptic - 08/21/2021 3:50 pm

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3205 Posts
Posted 08/21/2021   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are Austrian stamps
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
Posted 08/21/2021   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps are Austrian, not Norwegian. The top of each stamp says "Österreich," not "Norge." What about them or the postcard led you to think Norway?

That aside, these stamps are incredibly common. About 174m of the 100kr were printed, and 161m of the 500kr.
Edited by classic_paper - 08/21/2021 3:26 pm
2 Posts
Posted 08/21/2021   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ShiftyCryptic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that was dumb of me. I couldn't really read the text at the top and I saw 'Krone' so I guess I just assumed. Thank you!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2570 Posts
Posted 08/21/2021   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are very common stamps. Any value is in the postcard as a whole. We'd appreciate it if we could see at least the whole address side.

Austria had just come out of a hyperinflationary period in early 1923, accounting for the high face values. Postage would have been the equivalent of a couple US cents.

How far? What is the destination of the card? There's your answer. Unless perhaps sent by a collector to another collector, people normally didn't overpay postage.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 191Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05