Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Who Can Figure Out This 4 Postage Due Postcard (C. 1910)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 314Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1403 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's an interesting card from the bargain box, that raises a lot of questions. The card originated in Germany. No date, but the typical international card rate was 5 around 1910, I believe. So why 4 and how would the funds have been returned to Germany where they should have been paid? Can anyone parse out what postal markings are under the stamps? And lastly, the stamps are cancelled but are not tied to the card, so they must have been cancelled before being affixed -- was this common practice?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
425 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   02:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The UPU rate at that time (1911) was 2 cents for International cards.
Shows a "T" stamp at point of origin (plus other text under the due stamps). The 11/20 may indicate centimes due. Looks like no stamps, so double postage due of 4 cents.

No return address, so recipient gets the bill.
I've seen other cancelled postage due that looks like they were done previous to affixing. don't know how common.

Thats my guess,
pat
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by patg23 - 08/30/2021 02:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
4302 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The blue crayon marking is:

Precanceling postage due stamps with any provisional device is very common, in this case at Pittsburg, PA (no H, long tangent for another thread) in Allegheny county, PA. There is also an Allegheny in Allegheny county, but the post office clerks obviously knew to direct the H.J. Heinz mail properly.

Accounting: I don't recall the exact date, but at some point the UPU countries just kept their own postage due receipts as the exchange of money transferred was almost equal and took a lot of accounting expense to track it, etc. No doubt someone here can provide more precise particulars on the date.
Edited by John Becker - 08/30/2021 12:04 pm
Valued Member
425 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John - Thanks for fixing the T20.

Here is a pretty good post on calculating the postage due.
Pat

4x(5/1)=T20
https://postalhistorycorner.blogspo...al-mail.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1403 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pat, that postal history page is very helpful and educational. I'm fairly certain I've seen these "T" markings on other international cards and covers. Now I know what I'm looking at!

Thanks, everyone, for your assistance!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05