Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone ID The Seaplane On This Postcard?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 390Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1311 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   01:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this up for the distinctive seaplanes docked in Midland, Ontario on the Georgian Bay. The back is undated, but I'd guess it's from the mid to late 1940s. Does anyone know what type of aircraft this is? It's the first single engine "pusher" seaplane that I've seen.

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9752 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   03:02 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33041 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   04:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Met an old guy once who had one of these for many years. he and his wife would use it to lake hop all over Canada when on long vacations. Often the only people on a lake.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Rod.

Thx for sharing the Republic amphib link. What a wealth of info contained therein.

(Have always been partial to Grumman's larger amphibians. Goose, Wigeon, Mallard, and Albatross. Flying in Alaska and the Caribbean.)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1311 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating stuff! I had never heard of this plane before. Well worth a dollar for the card!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33041 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod.
Thx for sharing the Republic amphib link. What a wealth of info contained therein.

Hi Jim,
I thought I may be able to crack the identity of the Seabee on the card, the register is barely visible.
I came across the link whilst trying to find the online Seabee registers,

We here in Australia have some Seabees

There is also a great Youtube in flight video available.
Valued Member
Canada
157 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any info on the card regarding the big passenger ship in the background? It's not the right design or color for the SS North America or the SS South America that did visit Midland.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1311 Posts
Posted 08/31/2021   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish the back side was more help, but it's got nothing but a generic design. I went over the picture with a magnifier but there's no discernible name on the ship or the lifeboats.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
730 Posts
Posted 08/31/2021   06:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PMstamps:

It looks like the original photograph was hand coloured so may not reflect the original colours, given that the colouring was added at least a day later, elsewhere.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
Posted 08/31/2021   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

PMStamp.

Agree. Neither the North America or South America. (Twin vessels.). Wrong profile. Believe location is Town Dock. The window "pairing" suggests psgr accommodations, versus one of the many "day boats" which plied Georgian Bay. The "open" stern deck design may be a defining element. My best "guess": One of the early D & C Day Line vessels.

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 390Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05