Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions About Expertising And Canadian "Admiral" Series.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 369Next Topic  

Canada
0 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   01:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add edncda to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been collecting for many years, on and off, now on again. Mostly Classic Canadian (to Scott 302) some European approx. 1880 to 1950.
I am wondering whether someone might be able to provide some information and suggestions on the following 2 subjects, #1 I want to to have some of the more valuable items expertised and am wondering if there are any particular steps I should take to minimize the risk of losing them in transit. Are certain carriers better? Insurance? etc.
My second question relates to the Canadian "Admiral" series. I am intrigued by the challenge of collecting as many of the colour variations as possible but am at a loss to be certain (for example Scott # 106) if I have a pink, rose carmine, deep rose red, dark carmine, orange red, deep red or just plain red stamp!
Does anyone know of a reliable reference guide specifically for the admiral stamps (or early Canadian in general if such a standard exists)? Otherwise, any suggestions on how to go about building such a standard that could be accurately represented by RGB or hex triplets?
I have purchased several colour charts such as Gibbons but the names are different so it seems like comparing apples and oranges. Thanks in advance for all responses.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   04:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

Dale
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
edncda

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences. Russ
Valued Member
Canada
157 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest getting a copy of the "Color Guides for the Admiral Issue of Canada" by Richard M. Morris. It is sometimes hard to find, but he created a new batch of booklets last Fall when I bought one directly from him. It is published by Collateral Philately in Dartmouth, NS, Canada.
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OP, you're screaming to become a BNAPS member! I can just about guarantee that you can't come up with a question that one of the membership doesn't have an answer to, for example: https://bnaps.org/studygroups/admir...SG-About.htm

Also, welcome to the forum.
Pillar Of The Community
3535 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3150 Posts
Posted 08/31/2021   06:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!!
Al
Valued Member
316 Posts
Posted 08/31/2021   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! The Admiral series is one of my favorites. The color "pop" from an album page of all the issues is a thing of beauty.

As far as insurance & sending stamps in the mail, I still rely on the USPS. Knock on wood but in decades of collecting, I haven't had anything lost yet (maybe late but not lost). If you becone a member of APS, you can get insurance for your collection at very reasonable rates. That insurance covers anything lost in the mail BTW.
Canada
0 Posts
Posted 08/31/2021   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edncda to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I will follow up on all the suggestions and links. Many thanks for giving me some starting points.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
625 Posts
Posted 09/09/2021   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. Remember to use the search function for questions before posting. It will save you a lot of time as we will probably direct you to an answer already out there.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 369Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05